• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Weighted PPG and play-offs for League 2?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Six positive Covid-19 tests in the Premiership out of 748 players and staff tested. This is from 3 clubs.

I wonder what the plan is for the four L2 clubs if any test positive before the play off games.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Six positive Covid-19 tests in the Premiership out of 748 players and staff tested. This is from 3 clubs.

I wonder what the plan is for the four L2 clubs if any test positive before the play off games.
Therein lies the paradox of this virus. Six out of 748 is obviously less than 1% as the more stats obsessed viewers will quickly point out, so what's the problem. At this stage of individual training it will "only" affect those players and their families or households who will have to isolate. As it gets to phase three though, it would affect the whole squad and staff and their families or households and all of a sudden you get hundreds self isolating because of around 1% having the virus.

Oldsmobile-88

Sorry for replying to my own post but it was only after posting that it hit me that May 25th is only 6 days away. Therefore, if this mad play-off plan is going to work one of three things will have to happen.
  1. The play-offs are scheduled before the end of June and in the next 6 days the EFL come up with a workable plan and the clubs involved test all their staff and take them off furlough.
  2. The play-offs are scheduled before the end of June but players have less than 3 weeks to prepare.
  3. The play-offs are scheduled after the end of June and all necessary contracts are extended.
The playoffs are a huge gamble financially.
I would not mind betting that the club are in two minds about them.

The clubs that can hibernate,thus keeping costs to a minimum will have a huge advantage next season.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The playoffs are a huge gamble financially.
I would not mind betting that the club are in two minds about them.

The clubs that can hibernate,thus keeping costs to a minimum will have a huge advantage next season.
I hope the EFL have thought this through properly (I know, I know...). They have total discretion over these 5 games under their Rules but will surely have to ensure that the 4 clubs don't *lose* money - and they will have 5 lots of Sky fees to play with. Depends on where and how the games are played, I guess, but ending furlogh and match expenses is presumably gonna cost each club £100K plus.

ryancooper327

If only we’d put these away..!

Most chances created 2019/20: LEAGUE TWO👇⚽

222 - Plymouth
216 - Exeter
215 - Crewe
203 - Swindon
190 - Colchester
187 - Bradford
186 - Salford
186 - Northampton
183 - Crawley
181 - Leyton Orient
171 - Port Vale

STURTZ

Ref decisions and poor pitches ruined our chances toward the end of the season IMO.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Another reminder that the Premier League wants B teams

Banksy

Another reminder that the Premier League wants B teams

If that happened , I think I’d lose interest , the whole thing would be pointless with say half of League 2 made up of Under 23 teams.Grassroots football would be dead.

Oldsmobile-88

Julian Tagg talking about the potential play offs & costs.

Banksy

So , win, win , win for Swindon , Crewe and Plymouth , a costly poisoned chalice for us if it all goes ahead. They get to go straight up and no fuss , we pay for tests etc with a four team lottery to look forward to . Plus we’ll be one of the last teams to be able to sort their squad out for next season as we’ll be playing in this lottery.Sounds great to me especially as we could well have turned Plymouth over at their place anyway.
Still hoping it’s chucked out if only so Plymouth don’t go up ..........