• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Interview with academy coach Kevin Nicholson

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Another interesting interview - they are really showing that we have quality , top people working at our club

budegrecian

Really enjoyed that.
You & me both. Looks like the club made an excellent appointment, when they gave him the job. I just hope that the opportunity to return to 1st team management, which he clearly wants to do at some stage, doesn't come along too soon.

Exehausted

You & me both. Looks like the club made an excellent appointment, when they gave him the job. I just hope that the opportunity to return to 1st team management, which he clearly wants to do at some stage, doesn't come along too soon.
What a fantastic insight into what goes on in football that we , as fans , never see. He really gave the human side of football. The brutality of 12 or 24 month contracts which most of us never have to deal with and all the time trying to provide for a young family. Having to bite your tongue and be diplomatic while having to cope with the skulduggery that went on at Torquay when the new owners came in. As he said, " I had to put up with a lot and the way I was treated, a lot of it probably wasn't legal" but without being bitter. He also gets the irony of football. Being turned inside out by Wayno in the play-offs and the fact that he is in effect, now his line manager. He also totally gets what we are trying to do with the academy players. Yes, we want them to progress to be first team players and hopefully earn us some money by moving on, but just as important, that they are decent human beings, with good morals. He also clearly has a huge respect for Taggy and everyone from the board downwards and how they are all pulling in the same direction. I haven't yet renewed my season ticket, although I had every intention to, but having watched that, I will do before the weekend is out.

Legohead

Banned
What he had to put up with whilst managing Torquay was an absolute disgrace. He even had to drive players to games and pay for the petrol! He served Torquay so well for many years and ended up being treated like dirt. Like Torquay fans have been.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Put me down for a copy of his book whenever it gets written/published...

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
This has just popped back on to the Exeweb Twitter timeline

Number13

Very interesting interview....wouldn’t be the biggest surprise to see him take over from MT one day.
Your wish is ECFC's command..........

andrew p long

As the posts on this thread show, this was a great interview and Kev is an absolute top bloke. I've always wanted him to do well, at Kiddy, at Torquay and as a coach at ECFC.
I have one reservation about him as a manager. In one interview (this one?) he told the story of when he agreed to tear up a
2 year playing contract he'd signed at IIRC age 34. He did so because the relevant club were in difficulties financially etc. Top bloke behaviour.

And then found that - a bit to his surprise - there wasn't actually a strong market of clubs wanting a 35 year old left back, which made things tricky for him and his family for a while. My concern is whether he would repeat that generous behaviour when its ECFC interests at stake - if he did we could get shafted.

I hope he would be more hard nosed on our behalf if appointed ECFC manager

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very interesting interview....wouldn’t be the biggest surprise to see him take over from MT one day.
Will this prophecy come true?

Red Devon

Will this prophecy come true?
Very strong character just like Taylor. Somebody who knows the club inside out and would be a seemless transition.