• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Interview with Jamie Cureton

jimmy

Enjoyed that interview. What a great goalscorer. We know in hindsight, he had seasons (plural) more to give to ECFC.

From recent interviews, I'm fascinated by how Tis related to players and dressing rooms. It was clearly unconventional to traditional British football managers.

Tis mentioned he couldn't fit in when playing, partly due to his background of boarding school, higher education etc. I can only assume he was as transparent as possible and most likely stayed calm during bust ups...like the one Curo mentions!

InMyBlood

Enjoyed that (y)
Not sure i'd have made the same decision as Tisdale when it was between Cureton and John O'Flynn.
Getting rid of your top striker for someone who only scored more than 20 goals in over 100 games! :unsure:
Maybe more to it that we don't know but as mentioned in the interview what we would do for a striker who scored that many goals now.

jimmy

Getting rid of your top striker for someone who only scored more than 20 goals in over 100 games! :unsure:
Maybe more to it that we don't know but as mentioned in the interview what we would do for a striker who scored that many goals now.
I'm not for one minute saying it was the right call. Even at the time it seemed mad, it now seems utterly bizarre.

However, I guess the thinking surrounded us being a 'selling club', as Tis used to regularly say. A 37 year old is never going to bring a transfer, even if he is consistently banging in 20 goals a season!

Curo also mentioned himself that he would be difficult to manage if he isn't playing every minute.

Proper-chapness may have played a part too as there was no place for Curo in the coaching team.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
All his goals for City

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't blame Tis for taking a gamble on John O Flynn, just didn't work.

dontpassback

It would have been nice to have had a couple More seasons,yes Jamie I agree totally,and what is more gutting that Tisdale preferred Oflynn rather than a proven striker like Jamie,such a shame,but hey ho !

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
It would have been nice to have had a couple More seasons,yes Jamie I agree totally,and what is more gutting that Tisdale preferred Oflynn rather than a proven striker like Jamie,such a shame,but hey ho !
Don't know why people aren't taking Tis words at face value? No-one would choose Offline over Curo if they were paid the same. When we let Curo go we were skint.

Simple as that.

crocks

Ive watched City for a very long time and in my opinion, Curo was one of the best strikers to have played for City.

budegrecian

Curo was great during his time with us, but he was also fortunate that we also had Ryan Harley at his best, putting through passes nobody else would have been able to see.

IndoMike

To be fair, Tis signed Cureton at 35, so he had already helped along Curo's career. Cureton admitted no clubs were interested in him.
Cureton spoke well.of Tis : I don't think there was a big fall out. Just money, and maybe Tis thought Cureton had run out of gas.