• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster

geoffwp

Are they sunk without a trace yet?

Legohead

Banned
This pandemic has made me realise three things at least with regard to TUFC.

1. Despite supporting them home and away for the best part of 15 years (until about 5 years ago) and hoping they'd go bust ever since I stopped, I have come to realize this bitterness is futile and petty and serves no healthy purpose so I let the water pass under the bridge and wish them all the best. Life is too short to be harbouring grudges.

2. I should be actually thanking them that their appalling mismanagement over the years and behaviour / attitude of some of their fans to me personally has pushed me into the arms of a love rival. In footballing terms that love rival being ECFC. I got given a second chance by a much more loving and loyal partner (ECFC) in footballing terms lol.

3. I realize how much I miss seagulls and a day out at the coast. :cry:

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
3. I realize how much I miss seagulls
I miss seagulls but I'm a terrible shot.🤣

Legohead

Banned
What is indicative of the fanbase at Torquay though is whilst we have a thread running into 60 odd pages about the threat of coronavirus to ECFC, the Torquay equivalent on their main site runs to 3. :ROFLMAO:

They were more bothered about the impact of their club when Clarke Osborne took over than they are now during an unprecedented global viral pandemic. Maybe they've all got better things to do with their (now) abundance of time.

IBA

What are the chances of the Gulls Surviving?

Legohead

Banned
All depends on whether Clark Osborne thinks his project regarding turning Plainmoor into flats / housing is still viable. If not, he pulls out and the club probably go under. They had the perfect chance to become fan owned before handing the club to Osborne on a silver platter due to being had over a barrel because of a temporary loan (with caveats) they couldn't repay and that Osborne knew full well they wouldn't be able to repay.

The fans just weren't interested in becoming fan owned and displayed a resigned apathy to it all. No fight. No nothing. So now it's all down to one bloke and his whim which is the course they chose. It will be interesting to see developments.

As a side note, the TUST is doing excellent work but is also realizing that Mr Osborne doesn't like to communicate let alone co-operate. The TUST should have been set up before the club was gifted to a property developer though.

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
It also depends on how desperate the council are for cash after the pandemic which could also play into the hands of Mr Osborne. The council agree to give up the covenant on Plainmoor knowing they will be able to get far more money from property development on the land than they would a small non league football club, despite it's community asset status.

At a time like this. Who could now blame them? The council will be desperate for the money and whilst they aren't doing anything untoward by scrapping the covenant, they will be IMO condemning the football club to the place where defunct football clubs go in the sky.

The pandemic could be of use to Mr Osborne ultimately and thus the club won't go under because of lack of investment. It will go under because once the covenant has been relinquished, Mr Osborne can do what he likes with the land and doesn't have to (and will not do IMO) build a new replacement ground for TUFC as promised. So the club fold in that way because it won't exist anymore nor have a ground.

Last edited:

elginCity

Swindon still waiting for its £5m speedway/greyhound stadium rebuild after 9 long years. Developers have built the homes/nursing
home as part of the deal, been given the green light from the council, but the stadium build is still sitting in Port Talbot although ready
to go......apparently.

If the Gulls future is down to 'one bloke'......

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
"I miss seagulls but I'm a terrible shot"
I think I should get this printed on a t-shirt. PETA would go ballistic, if you'll forgive the second pun