• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Although you probably doubt it, I too found it moving. (Although curiously wonder which bits you weren't touched by).
Still, you clearly have me marked down as a "virulent anti-Semite" so perhaps I shouldn't have opened my tiny mind so much.
PS: Our of interest, what is your own view of the recent shameful jettisoning of the "Dubs Amendment" - someone who actually lived through those abominations.
Would be extremely grateful to hear your justification...Priti please.

tavyred

PS: Our of interest, what is your own view of the recent shameful jettisoning of the "Dubs Amendment" - someone who actually lived through those abominations.
Would be extremely grateful to hear your justification...Priti please.
TBH, don’t know a lot about the Dubs Amendment, did a quick bit of reading up though and the Government position that the amendment was an unnecessary and highly political add on and that they’ll keep to the present protocols which cover the concerns re. Child refugees and their families, seems reasonable to me.
You shouldn’t be swayed by manufactured outrage, just because the politician engaging in it shares your political values.
Your false equivalence with 20th Century Nazi Germany and the present day U.K. is noted though.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed, the Dubs Amendment had diddly squat to do with the legislation related to our departure from the EU, rather a political stunt to be used as a stick to beat the nasty horrible Tories with once it was jettisoned. Much like an amendment tabled during the previous parliament related to animal sentience which, when defeated, let to the Independent gleefully declaring "The Tories have just decided that animals don't feel pain!!!!!" and every rabid anti-Conservative sharing it on Facebook.

elginCity

The rabid feel pain from dogs, mostly.

Flying back from Southern Europe on ‘Brexit Day’, enjoying free movement while I’m still able. How anyone can celebrate a loss of rights, with no perceivable resulting benefit, is totally beyond me. Bong.

IndoMike

The rabid feel pain from dogs, mostly.

Flying back from Southern Europe on ‘Brexit Day’, enjoying free movement while I’m still able. How anyone can celebrate a loss of rights, with no perceivable resulting benefit, is totally beyond me. Bong.
Collective madness, Elgin

Grecian2K

TBH, don’t know a lot about the Dubs Amendment, did a quick bit of reading up though and the Government position that the amendment was an unnecessary and highly political add on and that they’ll keep to the present protocols which cover the concerns re. Child refugees and their families, seems reasonable to me.
You shouldn’t be swayed by manufactured outrage, just because the politician engaging in it shares your political values.
Your false equivalence with 20th Century Nazi Germany and the present day U.K. is noted though.
Where have I ever made any equivalence between Nazi Germany and the present day UK (except in your twisted little imagination)?
And I don't see how you r Jason can claim that it was "highly political" and "a stick to beat the nasty, horrible Tories" when it is considered that the original 2017 Bill not only received cross-party support but was, in fact, introduced by one of those said Tories (at least, she was at the time)
Yet more fis and deflections by our "boys in blue"

Last edited:

tavyred

Where have I ever made any equivalence between Nazi Germany and the present day UK (except in your twisted little imagination)
Your posts are almost defined by your desperation to find some sort of false equivalence between left/right and U.K./foreign issues. As an example, we were discussing post war Britain taking in Children from Nazi death camps and you saw fit (in the same post) to bring up the “shameful jettisoning” of the Dubs Amendment by the nasty Tories.
Perhaps you do it without realising.

IndoMike

Yet another disgrace? The company's involved in the refurbishment of Grenfell .
There is already email proof that they knew the cladding was highly flammable and dangerous but it was used to cut costs
But they want immunity from prosecution?
Why should they get that immunity?
The unacceptable face of capitalism raises its ugly face again.
And you just know they'll get away with it.

DB9

Yet another disgrace? The company's involved in the refurbishment of Grenfell .
There is already email proof that they knew the cladding was highly flammable and dangerous but it was used to cut costs
But they want immunity from prosecution?
Why should they get that immunity?
The unacceptable face of capitalism raises its ugly face again.
And you just know they'll get away with it.
Of course its a disgrace, 72 innocent lives were lost that night because on the cladding on the outside was of poor quaility and flammable but this cladding was not ut up for the benefit of residents, No it was put up so it looked better when people saw it from the outside. The Council involved, Kensington & Chelsea probably thought this tower, Along with others were a "Noose" around their necks and not like the multi-million pound properties and residents they like to show off and they wanted it to look "Pretty" Also it was run by a management company who was and is only in it to make money, Apparently the Counciller involved in places like Grenfell and liased between the Council and the management company NEVER ONCE visited the tower, Despite concerns over safety and the lack of sprinkler systems that was recommended after an ealier fire at another tower block that kiled about 4-6 people if i remember rightly.

K&C Council are one of the richest in London and have vast reserves of money but they like Councils all over the country decided to sell off their housing stocks to either individuals or in the case of Grenfell have private companies manage them. Private companies are only in business for one reason and that is to make money, Nothing wrong with that but when lives are involved and lives lost someone or some people must be held accountable.

This very sorry episode just highlights the problems with Social Housing and total disregards for those residents living in them, But of course these people might be on benefits, Asylum seekers, Disabled, The type that people like to demonise and say "They should be grateful for what they get" even if its sub-standard housing and the then PM's response was quite rightly criticised for not even visiting the survivors, I'm no Monarchist but as usual HM Queen showed great dignity and compassion by visiting those people, Pity politicians and big companies can't take lessons from her

Rosencrantz

Thanks Rosencrantz for the heads up for this programme. Like you I hadn’t been aware of this story and I’m not ashamed to say I found it very moving in parts. Thanks again.
Just caught up with it myself. It was very well done. The epilogue shows hope can come from the darkest places when given the opportunity and compassion needed.