• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

GENERAL ELECTION 2019

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Conservative candidate for Exeter is ... "born and raised in Plymouth". A test of loyalties for our Leave supporting, Exeter constituents!!
Shouldn't he be candidate for the "Green" party?

tavyred

The clues in the name Mikey. I’m a resident of Glorious West Devon. The booming and portly Geoffrey Cox is my man. In ordinary times however, I can’t stand the berk.

IndoMike

The clues in the name Mikey. I’m a resident of Glorious West Devon. The booming and portly Geoffrey Cox is my man. In ordinary times however, I can’t stand the berk.

Yes, I know I feel sorry for you.
The bloke thinks he's a Shakespearian actor. Don't you have any normal people in the Tory party.?

IndoMike

Johnson's fake "man of the people/I'm one of you" act.
How any decent, regular folk can vote for this moral fraudster is beyond me. It's a big mistake you're making .

tavyred

Yes, I know I feel sorry for you.
The bloke thinks he's a Shakespearian actor. Don't you have any normal people in the Tory party.?
There’s a couple of fellas over the border in Cornwall that seem ‘normal’, Scott Mann and Steve Double were I think part of the 2015 intake. If blue collar Toryism is to succeed they will have to consign the ‘Shire Tory MP’ breed into the dustbin of history IMO.

tavyred

Johnson's fake "man of the people/I'm one of you" act.
How any decent, regular folk can vote for this moral fraudster is beyond me. It's a big mistake you're making .

Marked difference between him and Magic Grandpa yesterday I thought.
BJ gets harangued by the public he politely stands or sits and takes it, Corbyn gets a bit yesterday and he just walks off. The big mistake will be Corbyn.

DB9

There’s a couple of fellas over the border in Cornwall that seem ‘normal’, Scott Mann and Steve Double were I think part of the 2015 intake. If blue collar Toryism is to succeed they will have to consign the ‘Shire Tory MP’ breed into the dustbin of history IMO.
Those "Shire Tories" will always be in charge Tavy, They think they are born to rule and will do anything to protect that. As Johnson says the "Stooges" do all the foot soldiering but will never be invited to the top table

IndoMike

It's an interesting comment.
In recent times it seems more and more blue collar workers are prepared to vote Tory whatever, whereas the middle class tends towards Liberal or Labour.
I can suggest some reasons for this, but am prepared to accept that my reasons are not correct
1. Blue collar workers who are employed are more aspirational and materialistic than they used to be. They see the Tories as the party who can allow them to progress more. {I don't believe that is true, however, but it's a perception}
2. Because of point (1) above they show less solidarity with those who are struggling to make ends meet. They work, have decent homes and holidays, and are less caring and patient about the have-nots. It's more likely to be blue collar workers who call the unemployed "scroungers" than anyone else.
Obviously it's Labour which tries to do more for the weaker members of society so Labour gets hit most by the large number of blue collar workers as described above
3. So what I'm saying (perhaps controversially, but it's my feeling) is that blue collar workers are more selfish and materialistic now than ever before and have less social conscience.
4. Blue collars have a right to think what they want and vote for who they want. But basically they don't really care too.much about delapidated cities, the environment, the homeless, or even the hypocrisy of the ruling class. They just want to look after themselves.
Of course I am making some generalisations here, but it"'s the only way I can explain the above voting trends

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It's an interesting comment.
In recent times it seems more and more blue collar workers are prepared to vote Tory whatever, whereas the middle class tends towards Liberal or Labour.
I can suggest some reasons for this, but am prepared to accept that my reasons are not correct
1. Blue collar workers who are employed are more aspirational and materialistic than they used to be. They see the Tories as the party who can allow them to progress more. {I don't believe that is true, however, but it's a perception}
2. Because of point (1) above they show less solidarity with those who are struggling to make ends meet. They work, have decent homes and holidays, and are less caring and patient about the have-nots. It's more likely to be blue collar workers who call the unemployed "scroungers" than anyone else.
Obviously it's Labour which tries to do more for the weaker members of society so Labour gets hit most by the large number of blue collar workers as described above
3. So what I'm saying (perhaps controversially, but it's my feeling) is that blue collar workers are more selfish and materialistic now than ever before and have less social conscience.
4. Blue collars have a right to think what they want and vote for who they want. But basically they don't really care too.much about delapidated cities, the environment, the homeless, or even the hypocrisy of the ruling class. They just want to look after themselves.
Of course I am making some generalisations here, but it"'s the only way I can explain the above voting trends
It's an interesting take, and not without validity I'd say.

What I would say as a counterpoint, though, is that Labour has allowed itself to be too consumed by "issues" that mean a lot to their core membership but less so to the wider blue collar public - for example how many people in the provinces would look at the Labour conference waving Palestine flags and think "Yes, that's a party looking after my best interests"? It plays well to the substantial metropolitan left wing, but less so to the also substantial provincial left wing.

Your point 1 is precisely the point I would raise (but believing it to be true). Furthermore there is a perception (that I'm undecided about) that Labour went from being the party of the Working Class to the party of the Not Working Class. Even the most rabid (almost literally, to see the stuff he posts on FB although I've "unfollowed" him) of Corbynite lefties on here, albeit seemingly no longer posting on these boards, Grecian_In_Exile, used to rage at his freeloading-off-the-state neighbours back in the day.

Mr Jinx

What I would say as a counterpoint, though, is that Labour has allowed itself to be too consumed by "issues" that mean a lot to their core membership but less so to the wider blue collar public
Indeed. What do you think will appeal more to middle England - a points system or extending FOM? Rhetorical question really as it's pretty obvious.