• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tisdale

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think how well we did (points wise anyway) in the first half of AI's last season masks just how badly we were found out in the second half of that season. Far from getting better under him we were in fact playing the worst football of our time in the Conference right before he left. I believe AI himself puts this down to bringing in Gill, Carlisle in January and trying to play more football.

I do think he would probably have got it right the next season though what with the quality of player he was supposedly going to bring in. Stanno, Sills, Elding, Stanley and whoever the other two major signings were would have made for one hell of a team when added to what we already had. I know AI had his budget cut the season before and it was going to be re-instated but I wonder whether Tisdale got all the money that AI would have done as that lot looks much more expensive than what Tis signed in his first season. He got Stanno anyway and Rob won't have been cheap but the rest of his signings wouldn't have cost a fortune - was Elam that January or the following?

Interesting discussion though and makes a good comparison with this blast from the past:

http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10762&highlight=Tisdale

Stuart Storer's Tache

Interesting discussion though and makes a good comparison with this blast from the past:

http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10762&highlight=Tisdale
The more things seem to change, the more they stay the same.

Well-known Exeweb poster
The fact is Swansea are a bigger club than Exeter, with a better squad of players & more potential, and as far as I'm aware no other top Championship club has declared an interest in him.

And by the way you can bookmark this thread because he'll be unveiled as Swansea City F.C manager within the next 7 days. [y]
Not saying I want him to go, but No worries if he does, like you we will survive and prosper after a 'messiah' has left. Our club is heading in the right direction in the right way!!, with or with out Paul Tisdale. If he goes, it's been good,,,, but life and city will for sure go onwards and upwards, Swansea? my gut reaction you will do ok but time will tell.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Going back to the BBC reports, I wonder whether any fellow licence payers are glad to be paying the wages - on threat of imprisonment - of David Dulin to drone on and on about potential Swansea managers in his fascinating BBC web site articles.

There's a role for BBC News and Sport on the web, but surely this sort of speculative whittering is for newspapers and independent web sites not the national broadcaster?

And if it was Cardiff seeking a new messiah, sorry manager, they'd be ten times worse.

Grecian2K

Interesting thread to resurrect there....(if only to see old Poults being positive - and even seeming to agree with the Upstart ;) )

Of all the comments there though, surely the most PRESCIENT had to be the one by Forever7, who posted (on 29 December 2006 - ie just before we were to be facing the likes of Weymouth and St Albans City:
Give it 12 months and I am sure we will see a far more positive and vibrant Exeter City.
I think that, even 42 months later, one has to agree that has not just happened, but been sustained and built upon.

(Sadly though, the same cannot always be said about a "more positive and vibrant" ExeWeb :( )

AMEN

angelic upstart

Interesting thread to resurrect there....(if only to see old Poults being positive - and even seeming to agree with the Upstart ;) )
It was a good thread, if only to "highlight" GrecIAN Harris' excellent football management knowledge.

P.S. I frequently agree with ********. I just don't get my point across as well. ******** has always been one of my favourite Exewebbers. However, it's time for me to climb down off his (********'s) moob and stop suckling.

Smile and wave boys

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
As people keep telling me, stats don't show everything.

Inglethorpe was building a bloody good team, he was just getting the players in that he wanted.

He set it all up perfectly for Tis to just stroll in and take over. Although tis wasn't good enough to do this first time round.

And I can play down Tis' achievements because League 2 was terrible when we were in it. We finished 2nd without playing well at all. Had Bournemouth, Rotherham and Darlington (Not so sure about Luton) not got dudeucted points I doubt we would have finished 2nd.
So - the fact that Tisdale took us to the play-offs twice in a row, but Inglethorpe was unable to do so, twice in a row...was actually all down to Inglethorpe.

And promotion was secured from League 2 because every other team was worse than us.

But we wouldn't have finished 2nd if other teams hadn't had points deductions:

City finished on 79 points. Bournemouth finished on 46 points with a 17 point deduction (maximum 63 points); Rotherham finished on 58 points with a 17 point deduction (maximum 75 points); Darlington finished on 62 points with a 10 point deduction (maximum 62 points). So, if they hadn't had the points deducted, erm, City would have finished 2nd.

These aren't stats - they're the League table.

You may prefer to judge Tisdale & Inglethorpe by your ever more convoluted flights of fantasy.

Or you could judge them by the success or otherwise of their teams measured by the League table.

Antony Moxey

Is this thread still going? Ironic really as Tis isn't.

:D

DB9

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/swansea_city/8796904.stm

Just lifted this from the BBC website, Interesting read and an honest approach from Taggy, If they came calling and he wanted to speak, He wouldn't stand in his way.

Grecian2K

Going back to the BBC reports, I wonder whether any fellow licence payers are glad to be paying the wages - on threat of imprisonment - of David Dulin to drone on and on about potential Swansea managers in his fascinating BBC web site articles.
Ah course, Alan. "Up Lunnun" you're probably not as bombarded by your local media with the publicly funded(*) excesses of G*rd*n Sp*rks and Nastily Cornish as us locals, are you?...
...but I believe they, too, are funded from the same money-trough. ^o)

(*) Could be wrong though...they might now be supported by Cur Roy Gardner or (less likely) the "Hirihito Corp, Nippon"