• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Marcus Haber

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It is certainly an area of Tully's game that has improved, but generally I'm with ******** on this one. Was part of our 3-4-3 "failing" at the start of the 07/08 season that we had Tully on the right of the midfield 4, and why Sercombe was generally playing ahead of him when we went 3-5-2 to great success e/o last season.

Who was the Radio Devon Man incidentally? Andrew Barge is usually pretty spot on, but if it was Giler, 'nuff said!

Robert S

I would like to see Marcus Harber stay to the end of the season. he has height and speed, and could be very useful if he can get the right service.

But I suppose regarding service, you could say that about any striker.

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would like to see Marcus Harber .
I would like to know why we have signed a player with a name so similar to one already on the books, confusing for all concerned no doubt.

Alistair20000

Who was the Radio Devon Man incidentally? Andrew Barge is usually pretty spot on, but if it was Giler, 'nuff said!
I think Johnny Giles as Andrew Barge does the away games.

Poultice

Bugger me, Ex Leeds and Ireland star doing reports on City, how are the mighty fallen ?

wemissmoxey

Jimmy !!!

greenawayr

The problem seems to be, that unless we have Tulls and Golbourne right up the pitch, we basically become a long ball team. I'd say the majority of the balls coming from the back 3 were whacked long for Haber to fight for, which he did well, but with only one advanced midfielder and Stanno there to try and pick up the pieces, most of the time, the defence were able to mop it up. The long ball works if you can get support to the "big man" and then the midfield needs to act as a second line of attack. The problem with this tactic is that we haven't got an awful lot of height around Haber, so it becomes predictable for the defence to figure out where we're going to hoof it. It strikes me that Dunne and Sercombe are good players, but perhaps not good enough to control a midfield. Without wide midfielders you are not in a position to support the two central midfielders to provide options for an attack. Tulls and Golbourne were admirable in their workrate but they were never able to get forward (and by forward I mean level with and into the penatly area) on a regular basis because of their defensive duties.

I'd like to see us revert to a 4-4-2 with Taylor and A N Other in the centre, George left back and Tulls right back. This leaves Golbourne to attack on the left flank, and really get into the final third, whenever we have the ball and likewise, for whoever we put on the right.

You should be able to accomodate Harley in the middle with Bertie or Dunne providing the engine.

There was one occasion in the second half where Haber played Stanno in on the right side of the penalty area and Stanno knocked the ball across the six yard box without looking up to see who WASN'T there. This was one of best moves of the game, which could've been finished off had we had a wide player who was able to arrive at the backpost because he wasn't constantly worried about leaving the defence exposed.

Anyway, I'm off to play a bit more Football Manager!

Cravat

There was one occasion in the second half where Haber played Stanno in on the right side of the penalty area and Stanno knocked the ball across the six yard box without looking up to see who WASN'T there. This was one of best moves of the game, which could've been finished off had we had a wide player who was able to arrive at the backpost because he wasn't constantly worried about leaving the defence exposed.

!
It was very disappointing that no-one was anywhere near that ball across the box.

crocks

The problem seems to be, that unless we have Tulls and Golbourne right up the pitch, we basically become a long ball team. I'd say the majority of the balls coming from the back 3 were whacked long for Haber to fight for, which he did well, but with only one advanced midfielder and Stanno there to try and pick up the pieces, most of the time, the defence were able to mop it up. The long ball works if you can get support to the "big man" and then the midfield needs to act as a second line of attack. The problem with this tactic is that we haven't got an awful lot of height around Haber, so it becomes predictable for the defence to figure out where we're going to hoof it. It strikes me that Dunne and Sercombe are good players, but perhaps not good enough to control a midfield. Without wide midfielders you are not in a position to support the two central midfielders to provide options for an attack. Tulls and Golbourne were admirable in their workrate but they were never able to get forward (and by forward I mean level with and into the penatly area) on a regular basis because of their defensive duties.

I'd like to see us revert to a 4-4-2 with Taylor and A N Other in the centre, George left back and Tulls right back. This leaves Golbourne to attack on the left flank, and really get into the final third, whenever we have the ball and likewise, for whoever we put on the right.

You should be able to accomodate Harley in the middle with Bertie or Dunne providing the engine.

Anyway, I'm off to play a bit more Football Manager!
Yes. This is spot on. Edwards into the back 4 with Friend at LB and Golbourne ahead of him. Bertie and Harely in the middle and either Dunne or Sercombe on the right. Stans and Haber up front. Much more balanced side and IMHO, this would be far more effective than the 3-5-2 line up.

manc grecian

The only time Golborne played left mid he was utter dung.