• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Gill

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
I reckon that Gilly is getting a bargaining chip together.

Could be a dangerous game to play unless he already has a possible alternative club to go to. Tis has already demonstrated that he will not be "blackmailed" (probably too strong a word to use but I cant think of an alternative) e.g. Carlisle wanting a 2 year contract, Tis only prepared to give 1.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Tis has already demonstrated that he will not be "blackmailed" (probably too strong a word to use but I cant think of an alternative)
........Cajoled?

ralph

........Cajoled?
Pressurized?

Shamus

Woudl love to see Gilly stay, my player of the year without doubt. Work rate second to none. But at the end of the day if he wants to go, we can't stop him and I trust Tis to sort a repalcement. Loads of players will jump at the chance to join a league one side and Tis is the man to chose the right one(s).

One thing I do know is that Tis wont muck about and will look to get his squad and players sorted very quickly.

Gozzer

Torquay wanted him before and IIRC were even prepared to pay. If they lose in their PO final, I can't see Gilly stepping back down into the BSP, even if the pay is a bit better. Another season in L2 on better wages may appeal, though. I think he's playing a dangerous game and being in the position of looking for a L1 contract was just the first part of it.

STURTZ

This going to torquay thing, it is a joke right?

Ellisthegreek

Well-known Exeweb poster
This going to torquay thing, it is a joke right?
:D It is mate.

STURTZ

:D It is mate.
Yeah!

However if we're looking at Torquay who wouldn't mind seeing Nicky Wroe in a City shirt (and perhaps Elliot Benyon?)

Ellisthegreek

Well-known Exeweb poster
Like i said on other threads. We must try and keep Gilly, but if he does go, i trust the backroom staff (Tis,Yemsy and scouting team) to find a more than suitable replacement.

Last edited:

Juggling Monkey

Administrator
Matt Gill is indeed an important part of the team (for me the most important), my choice for player of the season too and someone I'd hate to see leave. I also don't think that article changes anything right now. However...

If Gilly does go, don't overlook the potential this gives for changing the shape of the team. Gilly has a phenomenal work rate, a great range of passing, moves well to give his team mates an option at all times and tackles back well. Suppose, for example, he was replaced with a more classic holding midfielder - someone with a towering presence, good in the air, slightly more defensive but with enough pace not to get isolated. Such a player would allow Paul Tisdale to pair him with someone more creative like Harley with that player getting forward a lot, and play two wide midfielders/wingers.

I guess what I'm saying is if Gilly does go, don't get too upset if there isn't a like-for-like replacement. Maybe those of you crying out for wingers might finally get your wish.