• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 1 News 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilbert

So very apposite. That mirrors exactly how I feel. It's all too easy to covet the success of (some) other clubs. It's all fine until the backer(s) back out. OK, if you're a top PL club, say the top 6, you will probably never have to worry. Once someone backs out, there is almost always another, or others, to come in and take their place. For others, those without much international appeal, the collapse of a willing financier can cause many problems. For us, City, you (Gilbert) have said it all. I am yet to be convinced that we have taken the supporter ownership model to its limits and that is at least one reason why I still support it 100%.
Neither am I (yet to be convinced that we have taken the supporter ownership model to its limits). I will even go as far as to say that I don't think we have even explored the possibilities or imagined the extent of what we could do. Some time (soon I hope), someone is going to wake up with an incredible idea that only a club like ours could exploit and it will benefit not just the club but the entre community. Until then, we keep on keeping on.

i8cornwall

Since this statement from Wigan the EFL have deducted a further 4 points from Wigan next season meaning they start on -8 points

Great stuff, made my weekend this. Keep it going lads hahaha

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
In a few weeks it will be time for the League One 23-24 thread. Fleetwood and Wigan are setting the pace so far for 'clubs who might struggle this season..'

DB9

I think with Wigan people seem to forget that before Dave Whelan they were a small club in a Rugby League town, Without his investment they would have been bouncing around L2 and NL I think, The new owners can't seem to repeat his success and are constantly in financial trouble, Whether someone will come in to repeat those glory days they could end up playing in a stadium of PL level but a team of L2 level.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think with Wigan people seem to forget that before Dave Whelan they were a small club in a Rugby League town, Without his investment they would have been bouncing around L2 and NL I think, The new owners can't seem to repeat his success and are constantly in financial trouble, Whether someone will come in to repeat those glory days they could end up playing in a stadium of PL level but a team of L2 level.
I will never, ever forget standing in the Cowshed on a Tuesday night, watching the worst, most boring, 0-0 draw against them when we were both struggling at the bottom end of the table.

Pete Martin (CTID)

I remember listening to a radio programme, a number of years ago now, where Dave Whelan was being discussed. It was said that, before he acquired Wigan, he was planning to try and buy Man United. His wife, apparently talked him out of it, suggesting it would be too much for him and a millstone around his neck. Consequently, he went off and bought Wigan. It was an interesting story.

DB9

I remember listening to a radio programme, a number of years ago now, where Dave Whelan was being discussed. It was said that, before he acquired Wigan, he was planning to try and buy Man United. His wife, apparently talked him out of it, suggesting it would be too much for him and a millstone around his neck. Consequently, he went off and bought Wigan. It was an interesting story.
In a way i think Wigan would be more of a milestone, Man Utd always had money, commercial money, other investers etc, lots of other monies coming in, With Wigan he had to all the investing himself, When in the PL the money came in it might of eased but tbh they were a small club within that division and Dave Welan was Wigan.

denzel

Pilley has, unsurprisingly, stepped down at Fleetwood. Wonder where the money will come from now. Is Stockley regretting his decision?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pilley has, unsurprisingly, stepped down at Fleetwood. Wonder where the money will come from now. Is Stockley regretting his decision?
Players wages are always protected and if they fail to be paid they can up sticks and go elsewhere. Fleetwood will be the next Bury

sign of the chimes

I think I saw elsewhere that a Companies House update suggested two other people with the same surname had been appointed as directors. Presumably the surname thing is coincidental.

Status
Not open for further replies.