• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ipswich Town- 29th April

Bridgy 81

We’ve arrived at base camp in High Wycombe which is about halfway from where I live and Ipswich.
Although I’ve been here numerous times before for football I’ve never gone into the town before.
Old bit nice - newer bit not so nice.
Wetherspoons near our hotel very handy as always (mixed grills x2) and a Sainsburys on the way back to stock up on further supplies.
Hughenden Manor, home of Benjamin Disraeli, en route to Felixstowe tomorrow.
History, football and a few drinks.
What’s not to like.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I found a great pub in Harwich, which had the beer barrels on the bar so properly gravity fed! Harwich is home to the Mayflower, which I didn't know. I decided against popping over to Holland!

Martin Weiler

I found a great pub in Harwich, which had the beer barrels on the bar so properly gravity fed! Harwich is home to the Mayflower, which I didn't know. I decided against popping over to Holland!
Hants - you should have gone to Holland! You would have been following in the footsteps of Exeter City. After beating Norwich 1-0 in a Division 3 South game at Carrow Road on Saturday 14 March 1925 the team traveled to Amsterdam by boat from Harwich. The next day City played at the Ajax Stadium and thumped an Ajax packed Swallows team 5-1. The crowd was variously described as ‘12,000’ and ‘15,000 or so’.

The Exeter City FC Museum has a wonderful black and white photo of the team in an Amsterdam Cafe. On the day following the match the City players were ‘driven round the city in a charabanc and amongst other places interest visited the Stadium, where the Olympic Games are to be held’.

Hants - you could have done a charabanc ride and visited the Olympic Stadium (1928 Olympics). It’s still there.

Leads

We’ve arrived at base camp in High Wycombe which is about halfway from where I live and Ipswich.
Although I’ve been here numerous times before for football I’ve never gone into the town before.
Old bit nice - newer bit not so nice.
Wetherspoons near our hotel very handy as always (mixed grills x2) and a Sainsburys on the way back to stock up on further supplies.
Hughenden Manor, home of Benjamin Disraeli, en route to Felixstowe tomorrow.
History, football and a few drinks.
What’s not to like.
A good mix! My great great great Grandmother worked at that manor and then got pregnant in fairly mysterious circumstances. The family rumour is that the father in question was none other than Benjamin himself, however it has never been proved (and I would say unlikely). I didn’t realise it was open to the public, I’ll have to go myself one time.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A good mix! My great great great Grandmother worked at that manor and then got pregnant in fairly mysterious circumstances. The family rumour is that the father in question was none other than Benjamin himself, however it has never been proved (and I would say unlikely). I didn’t realise it was open to the public, I’ll have to go myself one time.
Is being a barsteward hereditary? 🤔

😄😄

Bridgy 81

It’s a National Trust property.
Really interesting. We were fortunate to be able to listen to a talk about Disraeli today.
A two time Prime Minister and a close confidant of Queen Victoria after their ‘relationship’ got off to a very rocky start.
I have to say he did sound a bit of a rogue, so in relation to your great, great Grandmother, you never know.
Although our speaker said that Disraeli didn’t have any recognized children and it’s thought he may have been infertile after one escapade too many on his travels around the world on his three grand tours.
Also we learned that a member of staff overhead a visitor in 2004 telling his grandchild that he worked there during WW2.
It transpired that Hughenden was commandeered as a secret map production facility to enable more accurate bombing missions in Europe and up until then the NT knew nothing about it.
They’ve now rectified that by having an extensive exhibition dedicated to it.
A fantastically interesting and attractive place.
Unfortunately our subsequent drive from Wycombe to Felixstowe which should have taken two and a half hours took four.
Eventually our sat nav suggested a route away from the M25.
We skirted passed Colchester and drove by their stadium. No sign of Matt Jay though.
Anyway, a nice stroll along the front this evening and some nice grub and a couple of drinks.
Easy drive into Ipswich tomorrow.
Whilst I’m at the football my wife is going to the pictures to watch Evil Dead Rise.
I’m hoping my afternoon isn’t equally horrific.

Leads

Really interesting. We were fortunate to be able to listen to a talk about Disraeli today.
A two time Prime Minister and a close confidant of Queen Victoria after their ‘relationship’ got off to a very rocky start.
I have to say he did sound a bit of a rogue, so in relation to your great, great Grandmother, you never know.
Although our speaker said that Disraeli didn’t have any recognized children and it’s thought he may have been infertile after one escapade too many on his travels around the world on his three grand tours.
Also we learned that a member of staff overhead a visitor in 2004 telling his grandchild that he worked there during WW2.
It transpired that Hughenden was commandeered as a secret map production facility to enable more accurate bombing missions in Europe and up until then the NT knew nothing about it.
Unfortunately our subsequent drive from Wycombe to Felixstowe which should have taken two and a half hours took four.
We skirted passed Colchester and drove by their stadium. No sign of Matt Jay though.
Anyway, a nice stroll along the front this evening and some nice grub and a couple of drinks.
Whilst I’m at the football my wife is going to the pictures to watch Evil Dead Rise.
Thanks Bridgy, that does sound like an interesting trip! I’ll feedback the news about his potential infertility, to my family tomorrow.

I hope you and everyone else have a great day out tomorrow. UTC 🙂

Arrived yesterday every single fan reckons they're gonna thump us and reckon it won't even be close.
St Jude's Brewery best pub - he makes his own cider and ridiculous amount of beer
Fat Cat also good pub

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Would have thought you'd be better getting the train in today, Bridgy. Parking is a nightmare and I don't fancy leaving Ipswich with 30,000 others.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Didn’t see any bloody kilts in the away end.