• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
KYTV on BBC2 followed by Quantum Leap, Not a bad evening's viewing.

Oldsmobile-88

31st March 1986.

A Officer & A Gentleman(1982) broadcast for the first time in the UK. I remember saying, that looks crap. Could not have been more wrong 😁

On Channel 4, The Eleventh Hour. A Island Built On Coal, a documentary programme that this week looks at the National Coal Board(NCB) from nationalisation in 1947 to the 1984-85 year long miners strike with the legacy of that on the newly named British Coal. We of course know with the benefit of hindsight that the writing was on the wall for the industry, with natural gas as its primary replacement for power generation. No one dared to say it at the time.

B93230B5-2987-4596-AAAE-9D434D125E14.jpeg5E47DCEC-516F-4D78-B3F6-4B3C90338E61.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

31st March 1986

The matinee film is Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun(1969) A Gerry & Sylvia Anderson production at 21st Century with input from Universal & Rank Organisation.
It was released in Europe as Doppleganger, not very catchy 😁 A fancy word that means a double of a living person.
It was soon referenced as its title outside of Europe.

A classic sci fi that has pretty much been forgotten about. This is probably its last broadcast in the UK.
A great story about another planet Earth on the far side of the Sun which has the same timeline.

A33D55E2-3152-40BB-A95A-63DBFB63B581.jpeg

Rosencrantz

31st March 1986

The matinee film is Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun(1969) A Gerry & Sylvia Anderson production at 21st Century with input from Universal & Rank Organisation.
It was released in Europe as Doppleganger, not very catchy 😁 A fancy word that means a double of a living person.
It was soon referenced as its title outside of Europe.

A classic sci fi that has pretty much been forgotten about. This is probably its last broadcast in the UK.
A great story about another planet Earth on the far side of the Sun which has the same timeline.

View attachment 11338
The International Motorcycling looks an oddity now but as with Athletics, international team contests were a part of the scene back then. Just looking it up, there were some familiar names for GB in Steve Parrish, Ron Haslam, Rob McElnea, Roger Burnett and, future commentator and presenter, Keith Huewen. Top scorer though was USA GP star Kevin Schwantz. All races that year were on superbikes though with GB coming out on top. A foreshadowing of British domination in the soon to start World Superbike Championship that launched in 1988.

DB9

The International Motorcycling looks an oddity now but as with Athletics, international team contests were a part of the scene back then. Just looking it up, there were some familiar names for GB in Steve Parrish, Ron Haslam, Rob McElnea, Roger Burnett and, future commentator and presenter, Keith Huewen. Top scorer though was USA GP star Kevin Schwantz. All races that year were on superbikes though with GB coming out on top. A foreshadowing of British domination in the soon to start World Superbike Championship that launched in 1988.
Use to love watching the Motorcycling back then, Schwantz was a total nutter on two wheels and watching him race was really something, He seem to never give a flying fig.

Rosencrantz

Use to love watching the Motorcycling back then, Schwantz was a total nutter on two wheels and watching him race was really something, He seem to never give a flying fig.
He had a pretty big rivalry with Wayne Rainey back in those days. Add in Mick Doohan, Wayne Gardner and Eddie Lawson and it was quite a battle.

Reactions: DB9

DB9

He had a pretty big rivalry with Wayne Rainey back in those days. Add in Mick Doohan, Wayne Gardner and Eddie Lawson and it was quite a battle.
Those names bring back memories, They were like the Motorcycle world's answer to the mavericks of F1 like James Hunt, Nikki, Lauder Andretti, Senna, Mansell etc of the 70's and 80's. Just as mad as the early F1 guys, Just took all the risks in their strides, It made for great entertainment.

Rosencrantz

Those names bring back memories, They were like the Motorcycle world's answer to the mavericks of F1 like James Hunt, Nikki, Lauder Andretti, Senna, Mansell etc of the 70's and 80's. Just as mad as the early F1 guys, Just took all the risks in their strides, It made for great entertainment.
That spell in the mid to late 80's and into the 90's were probably the most brutal races on the most brutal bikes. Wayne Rainey ended up paralyzed from the waist down after breaking his spine in 1993. My first sporting hero as a kid, certainly the first real sports superstar I was aware of was Barry Sheene, even though it was after his peak in the early 80's. Number 7 has always been my favourite number since and probably had a little influence on my first footballing heroes along with being tricky wingers, Martin Ling and Trevor Steven.

Although I am a big F1 fan, motorcycle racing has always been more open to the fans and a character driven sport for me in my time. Touring Cars still retain that for cars but there is something different in the wiring about the two wheeled maniacs 🙂

Last edited:

DB9

That spell in the mid to late 80's and into the 90's were probably the most brutal races on the most brutal bikes. Wayne Rainey ended up paralyzed from the waist down after breaking his spine in 1993. My first sporting hero as a kid, certainly the first real sports superstar I was aware of was Barry Sheene, even though it was after his peak in the early 80's. Number 7 has always been my favourite number since and probably had a little influence on my first footballing heroes along with being tricky wingers, Martin Ling and Trevor Steven.
I think all forms of motor racing at that time were their most brutal, Motor GP, Superbikes, F1, Rallying etc all had a large numbers of accidents and fatalities. Sheene was a master of his craft, Unstoppable in the 70's, Sadly taken too early from cancer.

Modern F1 bores me to death, Any motorcycle race is far more interesting to me, Probably because the top racers do very close races.

Last edited:

DB9

And if you want decent motor racing, Whether it be bikes or touring cars it seems ITV4 is the place to go on free to air TV.