• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

lamrobhero

Sartre was an over brained leftie tw*t

Other reading recommended

Just a thought like.
humans are "condemned to be free", some deal with it better than others

lamrobhero

Sartre was an over brained leftie tw*t

Other reading recommended

Just a thought like.
I ploughed through his trilogy "Roads To Freedom" turgid stuff but right at the end of the third book was an ending I found profound.
BBC2 did a serialisation in the mid 70s but left the real ending out. Fortunate really because when I came to read the books I could imagine the ending for myself.
It speaks to our time - a desire to deny reality and deny responsibility.

lamrobhero

it's about thinking things through and the implications of adopting simplistic notions to show what a nice, right on, non discriminationatory person you are.
This is where we differ. I believe that the stance of The Greens and others has an intellectual basis and a moral basis.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is where we differ. I believe that the stance of The Greens and others has an intellectual basis and a moral basis.
Perhaps you should make that moral and intellectual case for self-ID then.
Progressives or their lunatic fringe and their desire for an ‘anything goes’ society are taking us down a dangerous road IMO. What next, do we green light controlled paedophilia or ‘minor attracted’ as they would like the rest of us to refer to them as?

Reactions: DB9

arthur

It speaks to our time - a desire to deny reality and deny responsibility.
As an existentialist you presumably feel the responsibility to construct your own reality. This appears to be the intellectual basis of identity politics

Mr Jinx

Perhaps you should make that moral and intellectual case for self-ID then.
Progressives or their lunatic fringe and their desire for an ‘anything goes’ society are taking us down a dangerous road IMO. What next, do we green light controlled paedophilia or ‘minor attracted’ as they would like the rest of us to refer to them as?
Harriet Harperson and her Labour contemporaries already went down that road in the seventies with their support for the Paedophile Information Exchange

Of course they'd like you all to forget that particular bit of history.

arthur

I remember it well. PIE had a regular column in Peace News, along the lines of "We should be free to express our love for children", seeking to align themselves with other fighters against repression. For the record, I did not approve, but the unquestioning acceptance by far too many of this highly dubious line has echoes in what's happening today

And the "we should be free to do what we want and if you disagree you're being repressive" also sounds familiar.

But reason did prevail, and PIE's stay in the realms of mainstream left wing thought was mercifully brief. I detect a similar shift in mainstream politicians' embrace of the radical trans agenda. I am informed that women of a certain age have had a word with Starmer and he appears to have rowed back from the wilder shores of trans activism. Sturgeon's bruising encounter with reality is also an object lesson to others to engage brain before trotting out pre prepared slogans such as "Transwomen are women", or "Trans people are some of the most marginalised people in society today...".

When a sense of proportion returns I fear this issue will not be the electoral gift that you and your West Devon mate are pinning your hopes on...

tavyred

Who’s ‘pinning their hopes’? 🤷‍♂️
I’ve still got the Tories winning the next GE. 😎

arthur

Who’s ‘pinning their hopes’? 🤷‍♂️
I’ve still got the Tories winning the next GE. 😎
I know you have. I've got them losing. Pointless arguing about it - we'll just have to wait and see. Frustrating that this is likely to be a wait of at least 12 months, if not 18 or more...

lamrobhero

Morality is about the choices that you make. My use of the term 'condemned to be free' is that this is a truth that cannot be avoided.
If you deny that the choices that you make are your responsibility then you are denying yourself as a moral agent - in itself immoral.
So my use of the word 'freedom' is to emphasise the nature of choice and responsibility.

The choices that you face are in the context of the reality of your life. But by choosing you define your life.
So by denying the reality of self-definition you are denying people their morality and humanity.

Whether a particular self-definition is good or bad is another question but that is the process.