• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think my choice of spelling more accurately describes the current shambles of a (mis)government. 😜
I appreciate the point you are making but you ought to have found a quote using the correct word.

2/10 See me after class :)

Alistair20000

And so Credit Suisse has all but gone.

USB intend to buy a lot of it, if not all of it.

It reminds me of when JPMorgan bought Bear Stearns.

This isn't over yet and got some way to run. Let's hope it's not a repeat of 07/08
No lessons learned yet again. :mad:

Rosencrantz

It seems strange looking back that the syllabus of my History 0 level did not really cover Ireland post The Great War. I knew a lot more about the Weirmar Republic, the Soviet Union 5 year plans & the rise of Fascism in Europe than what happened in a near neighbour who’s legacy was causing a huge issue in GB at the time.
I saw a talktv clip of Dan Snow being interviewed making the same kind of point over the BBC/Lineker affair when talking about the wider general point of using the inter war years and particularly "20th century dictatorships" as terms of reference or comparison. It's what most of us were brought up on in our history O Level's or GCSE's and so we tend to use that period as a term of reference rather than, say, 1790's France or even Cromwell era UK. I definitely knew more about that period in Germany, Russia and Italy than probably the UK. That had to be self taught.

Being a history nut I do like learning about other periods and trying to gain an insight into alternative views rather than just the UK side we are mainly brought up with (pre exams 🙂). Ireland and it's history from both sides perspective is fascinating and as DB said, Peter Taylor is a very good starting point.

Last edited:

Grecian2K

I appreciate the point you are making but you ought to have found a quote using the correct word.

2/10 See me after class :)
Sorry Al but...
🎶If that don't suit ya
That's a drag
🎶
:p

Oldsmobile-88

I saw a talktv clip of Dan Snow being interviewed making the same kind of point over the BBC/Lineker affair when talking about the wider general point of using the inter war years and particularly "20th century dictatorships" as terms of reference or comparison. It's what most of us were brought up on in our history O Level's or GCSE's and so we tend to use that period as a term of reference rather than, say, 1790's France or even Cromwell era UK. I definitely knew more about that period in Germany, Russia and Italy than probably the UK. That had to be self taught.

Being a history nut I do like learning about other periods and trying to gain an insight into alternative views rather than just the UK side we are mainly brought up with (pre exams 🙂). Ireland and it's history from both sides perspective is fascinating and as DB said, Peter Taylor is a very good starting point.
Indeed.

I have seen the Peter Taylor series on iplayer a few years ago. Very insightful.

Reactions: DB9

arthur

At one point incoming Labour governments (not that we have had many ;)) were concerned about right leaning institutions blocking their implementation of policy.
As Harry Perkins found to his cost.... :)

Grecian2K

Indeed.
I have seen the Peter Taylor series on iplayer a few years ago. Very insightful.
Shouldn't this be on the "Former Players" thread? 🤪

Oldsmobile-88

Shouldn't this be on the "Former Players" thread? 🤪
Probably better off having the TV fella that season 😁

Grecian2K

Probably better off having the TV fella that season 😁
So very, very true mate. 😭
Wasn't the official club song that year "Lost In France-is"?

Oldsmobile-88

So very, very true mate. 😭
Wasn't the official club song that year "Lost In France-is"?
Aye...Not a Bonnie time.