• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ireland is to Britain (England) as slavery is to the United States.

Oldsmobile-88

In trying to understand Ireland I have consumed a lot of info on wikipedia. Fascinating. e.g. the drawing of the NI border to make the NI entity economically viable, the offer of a United Ireland by the UK Government in 1940 and for the debates on this
It seems strange looking back that the syllabus of my History 0 level did not really cover Ireland post The Great War. I knew a lot more about the Weirmar Republic, the Soviet Union 5 year plans & the rise of Fascism in Europe than what happened in a near neighbour who’s legacy was causing a huge issue in GB at the time.

DB9

It seems strange looking back that the syllabus of my History 0 level did not really cover Ireland post The Great War. I knew a lot more about the Weirmar Republic, the Soviet Union 5 year plans & the rise of Fascism in Europe than what happened in a near neighbour who’s legacy was causing a huge issue in GB at the time.
Same here Olds, Perhaps it was kept out "Deliberately" because of the "Troubles" going on at the time?

Oldsmobile-88

Same here Olds, Perhaps it was kept out "Deliberately" because of the "Troubles" going on at the time?
There was certainly a reluctance to go into any sort of detail. Perhaps we would have all understood a bit more of some of the baggage which comes around the subject if it had been taught.

I must admit, I’m still learning now.

Reactions: DB9

DB9

There was certainly a reluctance to go into any sort of detail. Perhaps we would have all understood a bit more of some of the baggage which comes around the subject if it had been taught.

I must admit, I’m still learning now.
Same here, There is a reporter I think called Peter Taylor who's documentaries on NI are a must watch, His knowledge is unbelievable. As you say, If you learn about something you can understand it more.

Alistair20000

Yes, how could I possibly compete with a university academic? But nevertheless, I'll have a go.

Goodwin complains that the "educated elite" is now dominating all our institutions. I pointed out to Tavy that the "educated liberal left" (as he calls them) has always dominated institutions, and he cited the, to me imperceptible, shift to the left in penal policy as a riposte.
Your view is worth listening to every bit as much as some over brained university academic. Had more than my my fill of that type.

I am sorry to disagree with you art but always is going much too far.

At one point incoming Labour governments (not that we have had many ;)) were concerned about right leaning institutions blocking their implementation of policy.

Tavy has a point in identifying a shift. It remains to identify when.

Spoonz Red E

I think my choice of spelling more accurately describes the current shambles of a (mis)government. 😜
"Homophones and double meanings are right up my alley" Alley Scooper.

Spoonz Red E

Your view is worth listening to every bit as much as some over brained university academic. Had more than my my fill of that type.

I am sorry to disagree with you art but always is going much too far.

At one point incoming Labour governments (not that we have had many ;)) were concerned about right leaning institutions blocking their implementation of policy.

Tavy has a point in identifying a shift. It remains to identify when.
The more indefinable 'elite' and 'woke' become the more they grease the cogs of those who wish for a 'culture war'.
I expect 'experts' to join them soon in an unholy trilogy.

lamrobhero

The evidence of the Grenfell Inquiry demonstrated the mindset of the elite and their institutions. Its a right wing orthodoxy that cannot be challenged.

Mr Jinx

And so Credit Suisse has all but gone.

USB intend to buy a lot of it, if not all of it.

It reminds me of when JPMorgan bought Bear Stearns.

This isn't over yet and got some way to run. Let's hope it's not a repeat of 07/08