• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alex Hartridge

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I like Alex Hartridge and I’m pleased we have him under contract until summer 2024 (and hopefully beyond).
I know he’s had a few instances in the last couple of games which have led to a goal against us and a red card for him but overall this season I think he’s been more than good enough.
Whenever I’ve seen him he appears to me to play with composure and a decent level of physicality.
Plus being left footed gives us good balance in the formation we generally set up at the back.
One thing I have noticed though is that he sometimes plays very slowly i.e. taking more time to pass the ball than perhaps necessary thus allowing himself to be closed down more than he needs to.
I appreciate the latter may be part of our newer tactic (as I understand it) of encouraging opponents to commit more before we release the ball but I’m not sure that suits everyone in our team, especially the central defenders.
My preference for the back three would be to concentrate on nullifying threats on our goal then playing the ball quickly and simply to a wingback or a midfielder to do the more attacking and creative stuff with the occasional longer ball forward down the line our up the middle if a striker is clearly free and in a good position.
I’m fine with Gary changing us to being a more possession based team (provided it’s possession with purpose) but I’d prefer our central three (including Alex) to be concentrated on their defensive responsibilities first and foremost and leave our quicker and nimble players further forward to implement the more complex tactical strategies, where less damage will be done if they don’t succeed.
The other attribute that Alex brings is his lone throw which unlike our overused short corner routines is not used enough IMHO.
UTC

SaintJames

I like Alex Hartridge and I’m pleased we have him under contract until summer 2024 (and hopefully beyond).
I know he’s had a few instances in the last couple of games which have led to a goal against us and a red card for him but overall this season I think he’s been more than good enough.
Whenever I’ve seen him he appears to me to play with composure and a decent level of physicality.
Plus being left footed gives us good balance in the formation we generally set up at the back.
One thing I have noticed though is that he sometimes plays very slowly i.e. taking more time to pass the ball than perhaps necessary thus allowing himself to be closed down more than he needs to.
I appreciate the latter may be part of our newer tactic (as I understand it) of encouraging opponents to commit more before we release the ball but I’m not sure that suits everyone in our team, especially the central defenders.
My preference for the back three would be to concentrate on nullifying threats on our goal then playing the ball quickly and simply to a wingback or a midfielder to do the more attacking and creative stuff with the occasional longer ball forward down the line our up the middle if a striker is clearly free and in a good position.
I’m fine with Gary changing us to being a more possession based team (provided it’s possession with purpose) but I’d prefer our central three (including Alex) to be concentrated on their defensive responsibilities first and foremost and leave our quicker and nimble players further forward to implement the more complex tactical strategies, where less damage will be done if they don’t succeed.
Insightful post Bridgy. I believe also we are a better team with Alex but what you say in terms of how slowly Alex takes to repurpose the ball has been a long standing one well before GC. Alex has many attributes but if his issue is ‘speed of thought’ delaying decision making this will hold him back from playing much higher in the pyramid

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
One thing easily overlooked how Alex has moved up a level via our promotion. Is he good enough for League One? Well he's given the answer to that (as has Archie) by being an automatic first choice in a (top half!) League One team this season.

Red Devon

Alex has been one our strongest performers all season a few missed placed balls out of defence against Wycombe and Lincoln won’t change my view on that.

Cowshed Grecian

Hartridge is probably a contender for player of the season..I agree with the comment saying he’s slow with the ball, I often think he dwells with it too long before playing it..he needs to sharpen up abit.

Memphis09

Hartridge is probably a contender for player of the season..I agree with the comment saying he’s slow with the ball, I often think he dwells with it too long before playing it..he needs to sharpen up abit.
What how could he possibly be a contender for player of the season
Brown
Nombe
Sweeney
All have been far far better than him
He might be in with a shout if he could pass the ball to a city player

Cowshed Grecian

What how could he possibly be a contender for player of the season
Brown
Nombe
Sweeney
All have been far far better than him
He might be in with a shout if he could pass the ball to a city player
I’d argue the toss on him being better defensively than Sweeney has this season.

arthur

What's happened to Alex? Not long ago people (including me) thinking of him as a POTY (see above). When a diagonal ball went over Sweeney's shoulder you worried - when one went over Hartridge's you didn't.

Yet today, after a run of poor performances he was "Sparkesed" (taken off midway through the first half because he wasn't good enough). I suppose that does at least mean we are unlikely to lose him over the summer, but I hope that "the leadership team" have identified the problem and can address it...

Antony Moxey

What's happened to Alex? Not long ago people (including me) thinking of him as a POTY (see above). When a diagonal ball went over Sweeney's shoulder you worried - when one went over Hartridge's you didn't.

Yet today, after a run of poor performances he was "Sparkesed" (taken off midway through the first half because he wasn't good enough). I suppose that does at least mean we are unlikely to lose him over the summer, but I hope that "the leadership team" have identified the problem and can address it...
It may have been concussion, hence why we made six substitutions. But you’re right, he was dreadful today.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
It may have been concussion, hence why we made six substitutions. But you’re right, he was dreadful today.
A bit concerned that GC doesn't want to recognise our old academy output.