• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Appears not to include political comments
Define "political" with workings please. Or are you from that old tradition "Oh, we're not at all political, we're Conservatives"

Alistair20000

Define "political" with workings please. Or are you from that old tradition "Oh, we're not at all political, we're Conservatives"
I think we can all recognise a football comment from a political one.

Please don’t over complicate things to fudge and deflect art.

As regards St Gary, once Lady Nugee says he went too far we can probably accept that he did.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Appears not to include political comments
They do politics too:

Alistair20000

They do politics too:
No need for the BBC then ?

Alistair20000

Exactly.

Like I've said elsewhere, in a world of consistent moral application the right would be defending Lineker's position to air his views and the left would be applauding the Beeb's upholding of the impartiality guidelines. But it'll never happen. People are too partisan to think either consistently or independently from their tribal party lines.

I'm on the left but would frankly rather see Jeremy Clarkson, Alan Sugar, David Starkey, John Cleese and Andrew Neil on the beeb, as well as Gary Lineker. This sensitivity is a race to the bottom.

As others have said, losing interesting, opinionated folk from the beeb only serves to benefit Murdoch et al.
I am liking all you say in your last two paragraphs.

Far too many people who agreed with Clarkson and others being cancelled but not thinking St Gary should suffer the same fate.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
From what I am hearing/reading around last night's 20 min highlights package: Lineker and crew's puff pieces and analysis, as well as manager/player interviews certainly not missed, whereas the in match commentary was missed.
This from Dan Hodges who, as you might imagine, ain't Gary Lineker's No. 1 fan:
I'd add three words: 'Or is lying.'

Alistair20000

And salad cream.
Devil food. 🤮

Pobbop

Far too many people who agreed with Clarkson and others being cancelled but not thinking St Gary should suffer the same fate.
and again the whataboutery is pointless as it reflects on both sides just as badly.

Oh and How Clarkson who still has a show on ITV, Prime and a column in the Sun is cancelled I'm not really sure.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster

I agree with Banker. Andrew Neil's politics are very different to mine, but, for instance, I'd have loved to have seen him go head to head with Johnson before the last election.

And this, for me, is the crux of the issue. I don't even have an issue with a news presenter, such as Neil, espousing political views on their social media accounts, less still a sports one, as long as they demonstrate impartiality in their role with the BBC.

Pobbop

This from Dan Hodges who, as you might imagine, ain't Gary Lineker's No. 1 fan:
I'd add three words: 'Or is lying.'
I mean the problem with this argument is there are plenty of ways you can just watch the goals, the fact is millions choose to watch an highlight show, presumably because they like the presenters and analysis.