• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Team that started against Shrewsbury only swap Jay for Nombe with Key at RWB
We didn't play a RWB against Shrewsbury, it was a flat back four šŸ˜‰

Grecian Max

I wanted Nicholson, I still think that was the right decisiondone nowt.
Why? If Caldwell's record is ridiculed why does KN get the royal treatment? His record is dogshit for Torquay in non league.

Red Devon

Either way we need a lot more creativity than we had in the team yesterday

Grecian2K

Problem is that under GC 's cunning plans we seem to be playing a completely flat middle four and a seriously starved front two. šŸ˜“

Cowshed Grecian

Agree with possession but Gary himself has said he wants to increase the tempo of play in the final third.

ā€œWe arenā€™t a team that is used to having 60-65 per-cent possession and when you do get that, you have to understand that when you get in key areas in the field higher up the pitch, there has to be a change of speed and a change of mentality of ā€˜we are not just going to keep the ball for the sake of it, we are going to kill and hurt the oppositionā€™"

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/exeter-city-track-play-how-8154865
He has quoted alot of things since heā€™s been here. Havenā€™t seen any evidence of it so far.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
He has quoted alot of things since heā€™s been here. Havenā€™t seen any evidence of it so far.
This quote sums up Caldwell (Obviously I have taken it out context)

ā€œWe dominated possession more in the last two games and that was to stop the opposition, not to win the game and not to create more chances,ā€

Pobbop

Why? If Caldwell's record is ridiculed why does KN get the royal treatment? His record is dogshit for Torquay in non league.
It's about continuity, and I know full well how pony he was at Torquay, but torquay is a shit club, with shit fans and no proper system, hence why we picked up watkins from them as they didn't have a yoof system, now the lottery money has gone they're exactly where they should be, Pep Guardiola couldn't change that.

Red Devon

It's about continuity, and I know full well how pony he was at Torquay, but torquay is a shit club, with shit fans and no proper system, hence why we picked up watkins from them as they didn't have a yoof system, now the lottery money has gone they're exactly where they should be, Pep Guardiola couldn't change that.
We are a continuity club all the way up from the under 5s age group which would have made Kevin Nicholson a better fitā€¦.. I see a lot on here about giving Caldwell ā€œtimeā€ the risk to that is that it could be time to relegate the clubā€¦.anything less than five points from the next five matches that time May have ran outā€¦hopefully we will win the next three games and this will all blow over.

elginCity

Chanced upon this ā€˜interestingā€™ exchange from north of the border !

26876A1C-2CFE-4FB1-BC27-90EA224C17CD.png

lamrobhero

After initially expressing some doubts GC has won me over. He has a vision that he is trying to implement. He seems more relaxed in his post match interviews and for a Scotsman he has a sense of humour (joke!). Understandably at the start I think he was anxious to project himself, now his feet are under the table, he is projecting the team ethos.
I happily give him 3 years. I am no fan of the football manager merry-go-round or unreasonable expectations of "success".