• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
GC needs to hurry up and make a signing ASAP if nothing else just to get this thread back on track!! 😂😂
Too right 😂

In reality the squad was already small; we are -2 permanent first teamers and +1 good but temporary sticking plaster

I live in hope but think we might be dissapointed again

Topsham Boy

We clearly have an issue in that we aren’t competitive wage wise. We had a good summer after Covid due to other clubs struggling but this is the third window in the row where it’s been bleak asf.

Reading about the £4m injection from a set of US investors who look the real deal down at Argyle has got me depressed. I like the idea of fan ownership but have we reached the limit?
Argyle do look like they are finally being run properly….more funding for players, new training ground, improvements to Home Park etc. It’s all down to money…..size of crowds and outside investment funding a clear plan with long term potential and currently on-field success. And their ground is well sited with parking and room to expand. Becoming an established Championship club is now a real possibility for them….sadly ( they’ll always be the GAWS to me of course).

We don’t seem at the moment to have the money to attract the better players we need to firmly secure ourselves in L1.
Location in the South West has clearly nothing to do with it. Better money and the prospects of Championship football does.

Having the Chiefs also doesn’t help…..Plymouth Albion only get just over 1000 at home, the Chiefs….albeit in the Rugby Premiership, average around 12,000.

As for those who think we could make the Championship…well, never say never but we would need a much bigger ground and fan base to keep us there…Luton has the smallest home attendance in the Championship this season at just under 10,000. SJP can’t even accommodate that….and the average in the Championship is c18,000.
We would need a new ground with all the attendant facilities and crowds of at least 12 to 14 thousand to have a chance of competing.

Is there another Tony Rowe out there anywhere? Without one a position in mid table L1 would seem the best we can achieve for the foreseeable future and more importantly a position we need to consolidate and hold.
Let’s hope we get a few decent signings in the next few days.

Banksy

Too right 😂

In reality the squad was already small; we are -2 permanent first teamers and +1 good but temporary sticking plaster

I live in hope but think we might be dissapointed again
Well , GC has until 11pm next Tuesday to produce the goods whether it’s his fault or not. Else the season could slip away. Look for example at Forest Green’s last half dozen games. Guess who their only point is against , but then everyone knows the answer. Our results will start to drift even without the possibility of late bids for any/ or Archie , Sam or Jevani.Imagine losing them suddenly with late poor replacements made quickly to just make up the numbers. We don’t want an end of season dogfight which we could get if other teams strengthen and we don’t.

After what tony Rowe did to exeter speedway,I wouldn’t pee on him if he was on fire !

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe the Cliff Hill redevelopment have risen or taxman after us hence lack of spend on players ?

tom_ecfc

I think the delayed signing of players is due to bids for our players and now we have to spend our money in a new direction.

Topsham Boy

Argyle do look like they are finally being run properly….more funding for players, new training ground, improvements to Home Park etc. It’s all down to money…..size of crowds and outside investment funding a clear plan with long term potential and currently on-field success. And their ground is well sited with parking and room to expand. Becoming an established Championship club is now a real possibility for them….sadly ( they’ll always be the GAWS to me of course).

We don’t seem at the moment to have the money to attract the better players we need to firmly secure ourselves in L1.
Location in the South West has clearly nothing to do with it. Better money and the prospects of Championship football does.

Having the Chiefs also doesn’t help…..Plymouth Albion only get just over 1000 at home, the Chiefs….albeit in the Rugby Premiership, average around 12,000.

As for those who think we could make the Championship…well, never say never but we would need a much bigger ground and fan base to keep us there…Luton has the smallest home attendance in the Championship this season at just under 10,000. SJP can’t even accommodate that….and the average in the Championship is c18,000.
We would need a new ground with all the attendant facilities and crowds of at least 12 to 14 thousand to have a chance of competing.

Is there another Tony Rowe out there anywhere? Without one a position in mid table L1 would seem the best we can achieve for the foreseeable future and more importantly a position we need to consolidate and hold.
Let’s hope we get a few decent signings in the next few days.
As an addendum …..Luton I admit are doing brilliantly at present in the Championship…currently 7th. And Kenilworth Road only has a capacity of 10356 according to Wiki.

However, they are also in the planning process to move their old ground and build a new 17500 all seater stadium. That’s the benchmark.

Antony Moxey

Good grief. One season back in L1 after ten years in L2 and we’re getting worried about finances and a stadium capable of entertaining Championship football. It’s also slightly more than amusing reading about how we’re possibly falling behind because we’re Trust owned and have no sugar daddy altruistic benefactor. Well, we’re currently mid table in the third tier, which means there’s half our current tier plus the whole of the one below who should be equally, or maybe even more, concerned at their lack of progress on and off the field.

This place 🙄🙄🙄

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good grief. One season back in L1 after ten years in L2 and we’re getting worried about finances and a stadium capable of entertaining Championship football. It’s also slightly more than amusing reading about how we’re possibly falling behind because we’re Trust owned and have no sugar daddy altruistic benefactor. Well, we’re currently mid table in the third tier, which means there’s half our current tier plus the whole of the one below who should be equally, or maybe even more, concerned at their lack of progress on and off the field.

This place 🙄🙄🙄
Sorry Mox but irrespective of other clubs fan owned ECFC has not made significant signings over 3 transfer windows for what appears to be the inability to compete with other Sugar Daddy clubs.
Given that we don't appear to have a crop of academyites for sale, no FA Cup run receipts and are probably looking at salary increases accross the board next season just to stand still myself and others are raising legitimate concern about Project 6000 and going backwards.
MT himself said we had a thin squad after the summer 2022 window and we are thinner now with approx 1 week to go - like any market it is likely that the "good" players have been signed early which potentially leaves us weaker given that other teams have invested heavily in their future in L2 and above.
We are just being realistic.
UTC

logman

As an addendum …..Luton I admit are doing brilliantly at present in the Championship…currently 7th. And Kenilworth Road only has a capacity of 10356 according to Wiki.

However, they are also in the planning process to move their old ground and build a new 17500 all seater stadium. That’s the benchmark.
They’ve had that set of plans for 30 years. I remember talking about it to their celebrity fan Nick Owen decades ago.