• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Memphis09

This will be a bit controversial but I don’t believe key has the end product to be a championship player.
He has no idea in the final third on most occasions and I would be taking 500k plus at the moment
Should be playing right wing back in place of Caprice

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with those that say if an offer comes in for 500k we need to be taking it and running.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Arnold joined the club at 23 and stayed until he was 37. A little different to what Josh has been asked to do and probably more importantly a VERY different era
Indeed the full backs (Nos 2 and 3) stayed at home and looked after their opposing wingers, the centre half No 5 similar and looked after their opposing centre forwards, wingers (Nos 7 and 11) stayed upfield their main task being to cross the ball into the penalty area to create chances for the centre forward and his striking partner one or the other of the inside forwards (Nos 8 and 10) and the two half backs (right half and left half Nos 4 and 6 respectively) would generally share defensive duties…….as you say a VERY different era.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I find it very difficult hearing the "dip in form" and "lapses of concentration" comments. It would be difficult for an experienced player to play the number of positions he has... let alone a 23 year old! He has played in defence, midfield and attack! How many players can you name who have been asked to do that AND been asked to play in multiple positions within defence??? I genuinely can't think of one!!!

I really feel for Josh. By all accounts he's an outstanding young man and he has sacrificed his own development for the benefit of our team this year. Any club who get will be getting a gem regardless of the final transfer fee.
GC obviously has faith in Josh so I can’t see him letting him go unless we get a really decent bid for him.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agree with those that say if an offer comes in for 500k we need to be taking it and running.
Yeah, take it along with anything offered for the rest of the players in the squad. End up with a shed load of money but not enough players to put a decent team out, and watch the gates tumble as we slide down the league ! What a marvellous strategy ! :cool:

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah, take it along with anything offered for the rest of the players in the squad. End up with a shed load of money but not enough players to put a decent team out, and watch the gates tumble as we slide down the league ! What a marvellous strategy ! :cool:
We are allowed to bring players in you know? I don't recall saying take the 500k and don't replace him. If we don't sell him he will only leave for a free when his contract is up - just makes business sense to cash in whilst he has value.

Colesman Ballz

We are allowed to bring players in you know? I don't recall saying take the 500k and don't replace him. If we don't sell him he will only leave for a free when his contract is up - just makes business sense to cash in whilst he has value.
Where from ? We are over 3 weeks into the transfer window and despite our best endeavours have made just one loan signing ! The season so far has been blighted by lack of numbers meaning we couldn't cope with injuries ! Do you have a magic solution or just fail to grasp the realities ? :unsure:

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Where from ? We are over 3 weeks into the transfer window and despite our best endeavours have made just one loan signing ! The season so far has been blighted by lack of numbers meaning we couldn't cope with injuries ! Do you have a magic solution or just fail to grasp the realities ? :unsure:
Players will come if you offer the right money as Plymouth are showing. 500k for for a full back who is going to walk away for free in a few months anyway would be a step towards being able to offer the right money.

Average Joe

Is there even a confirmed bid for Key? And where has this 500k come from? All seems a bit of a fairy tale.

Grecian Max

Josh Key has some natural attributes; pace, good engine/work rate, has momentum when on the ball to slalom etc

However none of this is matched with any sort of “football brain” so he ends up resembling broken FIFA AI just barging through until the balls is inevitably lost.

The exasperated faces from his team mates have become a regular fixture. Not Championship standard for me.