• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Patten (1970). A Francis Ford Coppola film. A long film that doesn't show any of the generals in a good. Not sure how many liberties were taken with the facts but an enjoyable film. 7/10.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Last Duel 2021 , directed by Ridley Scott and starring Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. Based on rhe book. Set in medieval France in the 1300 hundreds ,a knight challenges his former friend a squire to trial by combat after his wife accuses the squire of raping her. The events leading up to the duel are divided into three distinct chapters, reflecting the contradictory perspectives of the three main characters. Interesting and well acted , with a nasty and bloody combat section at film’s end. Nine battle axes out of ten broadswords.

Antony Moxey

Jumanji. The one with The Rock in. Just good old fashioned entertainment that both your granny and your kids can enjoy. Good fun.

Bridgy 81

We saw Empire of Light today.
Although I did sneak a few looks during it at my phone as it was transfer deadline day.
We go to the cinema most weeks, so which films we choose to see are obviously a compromise from time to time.
Today’s wasn’t really my choice but the storyline and acting was brilliant.
Olivia Coleman in particular.
I don’t think cinema should be given awards as art shouldn’t really be a competition, but it you have to give it to someone, this should be it.
Highly recommended.

Bridgy 81

Pictures again earlier today to watch a somewhat different type of film to last weeks above.
Knock at the Cabin, written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan.
It’s described as an apocalyptic psychological horror film.
It was an odd story to say the least and I can’t make my mind up whether it very good or very bad.
As it was so unusual, I’m leaning towards saying it was good, but I could see how others might disagree.
A ham sandwich, an apple and a can of ginger beer did the job as far as food and drink were considered though.

Oldsmobile-88

Patten (1970). A Francis Ford Coppola film. A long film that doesn't show any of the generals in a good. Not sure how many liberties were taken with the facts but an enjoyable film. 7/10.
Probably the best war biographical film made. George C Scott was excellent as Patton.

Banksy

Logan’s Run 1976 Sci Fi film , starring Michael York as Logan 6 and a very young Jenny Agutter as Jessica. Farrar Fawcett ( in I think , but I may be wrong , one of her first roles ) and Peter Ustinov ( as the old man) also featured. A one season tv series followed. Taken from the book by William Nolan which I read way back in the sixties. I got this film from the States twenty odd years ago when it was unobtainable here as I used to do for many such films in those days.They were all region one and I’m playing a few again having got an hdmi adaptor for my ancient dvd player I kept that can play that region. But I digress, I give it nine sandmen out of ten runners.( If you’ve seen the film or read the book you’ll know what I mean.)

Alistair20000

Logan’s Run 1976 Sci Fi film , starring Michael York as Logan 6 and a very young Jenny Agutter as Jessica. Farrar Fawcett ( in I think , but I may be wrong , one of her first roles ) and Peter Ustinov ( as the old man) also featured. A one season tv series followed. Taken from the book by William Nolan which I read way back in the sixties. I got this film from the States twenty odd years ago when it was unobtainable here as I used to do for many such films in those days.They were all region one and I’m playing a few again having got an hdmi adaptor for my ancient dvd player I kept that can play that region. But I digress, I give it nine sandmen out of ten runners.( If you’ve seen the film or read the book you’ll know what I mean.)
Despite having watched that film several times I had not picked up Farrah Fawcett’s appearance. Too much focus on JA in the green leotard. ;)

Was watching Jenny Agutter last night in 2022 Railway Children which was not grabbing me so thoughts were drifting back to this film.

Furthermore, I was reading an article by a Japanese professor yesterday arguing for encouraged suicide and even compulsory euthanasia to reduce the excessive number of over 75’s in Japan.

Logan’s Run really was ahead of its time.

Banksy

And without the leotard when she was in the ice chamber! 😀

Antony Moxey

Jurassic World: Dominion. So the last couple of Jurassic efforts were decidedly ropey, and accepting that the plot of this episode will just be a rehash of all the previous films, this was probably only bettered by the first film. Basically, it’s just a two hour plus action film very much in the style of Indiana Jones that rattles along at a reasonable old lick.

Of course the acting’s at school play level, and the story’s no literary great, but if you look past that and the plot holes big enough to herd a brontosaurus through, then you’ll find an enjoyable romp that the whole family can enjoy. Which I did.

Seven giant locusts out of ten mad scientists.