• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Callum Morton's career hasn't kicked on the way I thought it would. Still wouldn't mind him here though.
Yup - he helped destroy us on loan for Northampton at Wembley.
Got to be worth a punt for a 22 old Torquay bauy.
UTC

Andy_H

UTC
To be honest even West Exe U11s or the 'Walking Football' team could have 'destroyed' us on that day.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can we not talk about that playoff final please. It still hurts too much

Red Monster

UTC
To late been sold to Salford.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
That would show a huge lack of ambition on his part for a player that could still play at Championship level? However, it didb;t stop Elliot Lee dropping even further going from Championship to Conference with Wrexham
Wrexham are a bit of an exception. A pal of mine is the club doctor and, from everything he tells me, Reynolds and McElhenney are doing things properly and in it for the long haul.

As of now, their home crowds are averaging 9,907 thus far this season and I think it's almost inevitable they'll be back in the Football League sooner rather than later. More to the point, I think it's entirely conceivable they could be in the Championship within the next five to 10 years.

Certainly, if I was MJ, or Tim Dieng, I'd have been a whole lot more excited if I'd ended up at The Racecourse than Layer Road [do Colchester still play there?] or Priestfield.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wrexham are a bit of an exception. A pal of mine is the club doctor and, from everything he tells me, Reynolds and McElhenney are doing things properly and in it for the long haul.

As of now, their home crowds are averaging 9,907 thus far this season and I think it's almost inevitable they'll be back in the Football League sooner rather than later. More to the point, I think it's entirely conceivable they could be in the Championship within the next five to 10 years.

Certainly, if I was MJ, or Tim Dieng, I'd have been a whole lot more excited if I'd ended up at The Racecourse than Layer Road [do Colchester still play there?] or Priestfield.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Will Grigg. We really need to move on from this one.
Ok, fair point. How about John Akinde? I’m sure he can do a job.

sign of the chimes

Yeah clocked that too. If we’re talking about any experienced players he’s previously managed, who would be a potential signing? Michael Jacobs or Will Grigg perhaps but wages will naturally be the stumbling block.
Jacobs is only under contract at Fratton Park until the summer having signed an extension last summer. I'm pretty sure from discussions in the summer that the extension was on a significantly reduced basic wage with incentives around appearances, etc. as his first couple of seasons with us saw him show flashes of what we'd expected when he was signed, followed by frequent niggly injuries. Most weren't expecting him to get a renewal - and I think it was a lack of L1 suitors that saw him remain with us, on reduced terms (the noise with us was that he was lined up to sign at Mansfield if they achieved promotion last season).

He's been on the bench a lot over the past couple of months (since his last injury) but, from memory, hasn't started a league game for us since August. I suspect if someone came in offering him 18 months on something even close to what he's on now he might take it.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Can we not talk about that playoff final please. It still hurts too much
TBH I didn't care about that one... no one could watch it, would have been such a depressing way to get promoted

tom_ecfc

TBH I didn't care about that one... no one could watch it, would have been such a depressing way to get promoted
…and look where Northampton are now compared to us!