• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jan 6 - always a poignant day. To get the gavel, McCarthy no doubt has had to sell his soul to the devil. Thank god for the tali 20.
Seriously? Marjorie Taylor Green and Lauren Boebert? You're "Thanking God" for them? The election deniers and the ones that predicted a "Red Wave" during the midterms. If you think they and others like them are America's/GOP's hopes then I'd say "God Help Us"!!

Grecian2K

Jesus wept man. Did the invention of Google pass you by?

I did Google "tali 20" (you patronising prig!)
And it came up with zilch....apart from a source of Indonesian bamboo sticks.

Phil Sayers

The party of Jinxy's comment that is confusing me is that firstly he suggests that the far right awkward squad are a devil that McCarthy will have had to sell his soul to and then says thank god for them?

Mr Jinx

The party of Jinxy's comment that is confusing me is that firstly he suggests that the far right awkward squad are a devil that McCarthy will have had to sell his soul to and then says thank god for them?
Well if you believe in bearded men sitting on fluffy clouds looking down on us all, you also have to believe in things with horns and pitch forks. So yeah, there is logic, for the nitpickers, lolz

angelic upstart

Can someone explain to me in simple English why any of this matters? What did the rebels achieve? Why didn't the democrats just vote him in if the rebels will achieve things they wouldn't want?

Or is it simple nonsense politics stuff to try and make individuals look good/bad?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can someone explain to me in simple English why any of this matters? What did the rebels achieve? Why didn't the democrats just vote him in if the rebels will achieve things they wouldn't want?

Or is it simple nonsense politics stuff to try and make individuals look good/bad?
They no doubt got some concessions of some sort. Committee places, policy promises etc.

Spoonz Red E

The Dems know that the GOP can't actually get any legislation though to being enacted as there is a Dem led Senate and Joe Biden as President.
Therefore the House of Representatives will just engage in spoilers and 'investigations'.

The fact that McCarthy has given concessions to the Freedom Caucus et al and seriously weakened his own security as Speaker means there will be a whole load of craziness in evidence to little effect in terms of delivering results to the American people.

In the wider sphere, come 2024, the calculation is that this behaviour will further damage them in the next election as the majority of the voting public have demonstrated their weariness with these antics. The base that Gaetz and company are playing to is shrinking.

Alistair20000

Jesus wept man. Did the invention of Google pass you by?

Sad old man of Exeweb G2K is an assiduous practitioner of the obtuse post these days Jinxy.

DB9

Looks like Joe had more than his Corvette in his Garage!

angelic upstart

Looks like Joe had more than his Corvette in his Garage!
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned before.