• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tim Dieng to Gillingham

tom_ecfc

Gillingham have new American owners with a lot of £££ available! This kind of throwing money at players normally goes bad and can see Gillingham in the National League next season and having to offload loads of players with relegation clauses in their contracts.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks Tim you were an integral part of our promotion and those memories and of course the smile and Let's Go were infectious. All good things come to an end and Gills have a player with an excellent scoring record a goal every 4 games is very handsome at any level.

JW57++

I always worry when players depart before replacements are signed. We have lost two key midfielders and, in my opinion, two players who contributed significantly to the team spirit at SJP. Caldwell seems to be gambling on his ability to get high quality replacements, but I wonder if he appreciates the importance of squad morale.

Grecianpasty

Another great deal for the club. Anything over 100k is cracking.

Yes, it's disappointing to see another experienced player with a great character leave. However, he wasn't playing. He is 30 and we got 6 figures for him.

Thanks for all the memories Tim.

We move on, bigger and better!

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Although not as integral as he was last season, Tim was still a very good and handy squad member. Midfielders who are as effective as Tim in both boxes don't grow on trees. He will be a miss. He has to do what is right for him though and it seems we have got some, hopefully fair, compensation which has often been rarely the case with more senior players.

Grecian Max

Top man, will always be a cult hero for his integral part last season. Doesn’t have the engine for this level so makes sense for all parties. Be interesting to see him link up with Tom Nichols now. Gillingham’s great escape begins…

I’m not sure GC will do a like for like here, I think he wants more energy and midfielders very comfortable on the ball.

Can't believe that anyone would feel disappointed by Tim's decision to leave. We've received a fee for a player who is over 30, lacks pace for L2 and wasn't a regular starter.

In terms of a decision for him it offers Tim greater financial security during the last years of his career and means he gets to live at home.

Football fans are static in terms of their allegiance, players are highly mobile.

'Let's go' ...and get a better replacement.

Good luck Tim, and thanks.

Grecianpasty

Top man, will always be a cult hero for his integral part last season. Doesn’t have the engine for this level so makes sense for all parties. Be interesting to see him link up with Tom Nichols now. Gillingham’s great escape begins…

I’m not sure GC will do a like for like here, I think he wants more energy and midfielders very comfortable on the ball.
I agree with you that Tim isn't the type of player GC wants his team to be built around, and he won't be buying someone of a similar 'ilk' to coin MT's term.

Dieng is a typical League Two player. One any team in that division would want. League one is a different animal, and his style of play never truly fit in to the demands of this league.

Rosencrantz

I always worry when players depart before replacements are signed. We have lost two key midfielders and, in my opinion, two players who contributed significantly to the team spirit at SJP. Caldwell seems to be gambling on his ability to get high quality replacements, but I wonder if he appreciates the importance of squad morale.
Has Caldwell really had much say in this? He isn't pushing them out the door. He and the club have had no real say in this transfer as soon as the clause was met. Tim could have had all kinds of reasons for wanting the move whether footballing, financial or location. With MJ, I think most can see it was done the right way for all concerned.

This is football. Players move on, some are more missed than others. All managers survive on recruiting the right players and that is what GC is going to have to do. There was a lot of gnashing of teeth and worry when players like Nicky Law and even Aaron Martin left. We recruited, survived and got promoted.

i8cornwall

Gillingham have new American owners with a lot of £££ available! This kind of throwing money at players normally goes bad and can see Gillingham in the National League next season and having to offload loads of players with relegation clauses in their contracts.
Apart from it doesn't dose it....