• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Grecianpasty

I might be in the minority but if we receive a 6 figure sum for a 30 year old player who's been a bench warmer this season, that's a cracking deal.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
If Dieng does leave, that would be MJ, TD & potentially Archie off the wage book. I do wonder how much in total a week they were on collectively and, moving forward, what sort of quality we could bring in.
for the same money as those 3 , less quality than the players leaving.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I might be in the minority but if we receive a 6 figure sum for a 30 year old player who's been a bench warmer this season, that's a cracking deal.
True, but would we get that much for him?

I think my initial disappointment to this potentially happening is clouded by how good he was last season, when in reality, he’s been less effective this season. As you say he’s now 30 and if GC can bring in someone younger and better, then all good.

budegrecian

I think you’re spot on with this.
Dieng is a great guy, no doubt an excellent presence in the dressing room and a very useful squad player. However, i would guess that, along with MJ and Harper, he’s one of our highest earners and a club like City can’t afford to have three of it’s higher earners barely getting any game time.
We will create significant savings moving these three on and generate some transfer income,that can be used to strengthen the squad and,hopefully, retain some of our more important players.
I’ll judge GC at the end of the window.

manc grecian

The thought that any money raised is going to go towards retaining the likes of Collins and Brown is pure fantasy.

Caldwell has to find a younger replacement on the same wages for a player who offers us experience and a presence in both boxes.

People getting carried away by a few youtube videos of a teenager from Newcastle

AmberRed

🤝 You love to see it.

FWIW Tim Dieng to Gillingham is the next one on the rumour mill. I am not sure if I believe it, but it makes sense in terms of Gililngham splashing their new-found cash and Dieng seeming to be down the pecking order a bit...
I've heard the same, apparently having his medical today!

geoffwp

I heard a rumour...

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
We seem to talk a lot about freeing up funds but not a lot about spending it. Who are we freeing up funds for?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I heard a rumour...
Go on…Nombe going to Crawley is he?

Red red

Beginning to think ( maybe to hard) that we can’t afford to be in league 1. Rumour mill saying none of out of contract players going to re sign. Got to be finance. The biggest crowds at the park over a season I can remember and still a budget to small to keep the players Makes you think