• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Leads

I've heard the rumour this morning that he could be off (and 2nd hand from a source close to the player, not sure how reliable). Didn't know who to though. If true, a little sad, although the bringing in of Joe White probably focused a mind.
Poor Joe White, he's barely been here two minutes, has hardly kicked a ball and is *allegedly* causing half of our midfield to consider their futures!

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
If Dieng were to leave it would show a worrying lack of ambition. After all, if he goes, so does guaranteed back to back promotions into the Premier League.... ;)

On a serious note I would be gutted if he does leave but couldn't blame him for wanting more pitch minutes than he has been getting.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
So he moves to Colchester near the bottom of league 2
Don’t think he was going to play at all
If he is that good why no League 1 after him
Time will tell.

DawlishBouy

I should have chosen a different profile picture. It’s all my fault.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I should have chosen a different profile picture. It’s all my fault.
Stick to what you are excellent at, have a picture of the yoof team players!

andrew p long

Dismantling a successful squad is easy. Building a new and better one is much more difficult. so far GC has added a kid with 9 starts for Hartlepool. to the painfully thin squad, whilst losing two fringe players (Jay leaving and Harper because GC hasn't played him for a single minute). Our problem is not the first eleven which, when fit is top half League One standard. Our problem is the lack of cover.
And getting the right quality of players in is painfully difficult for ECFC - as the four months of trying in the summer was for MT. GC is about to find out from practical experience how difficult it is for ECFC to get in the right quality of player in a January. So I'm nervous about a strategy that lets squad players go - Jay I understand, but Dieng would be a step too far - before GC knows who he is able to bring in. His last interview confirmed the club isn't near to any imminent signings

🤝 You love to see it.

FWIW Tim Dieng to Gillingham is the next one on the rumour mill. I am not sure if I believe it, but it makes sense in terms of Gililngham splashing their new-found cash and Dieng seeming to be down the pecking order a bit...
Heard this from another person now too. Would be more disappointed about losing Dieng than Jay to be honest, pops up with valuable goals and offers more than Chauke IMO.

Presuming he is still with us on Saturday, will be interesting to see if he is in the squad.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
I would rather keep Tim till the end of the season personally unless of course Gills are prepared to lay out 50k+ for a player that iirc is out of contract at the end of the season? Dieng for me whilst not necessarily a regular starter is a more than useful squad player and frankly at this rate we will only have about 4 left to be on the bench Saturday!
Tim is under contract until 2024. I would be surprised if we let him go as although he is not starting is still a very good squad player for us, especially when we play physical teams with his aerial ability in both boxes. He is also a great character behind the scenes and an experienced pro, and we don't have too many of them in the current squad.

Grecian Max

Dieng in League 1 is basically just someone to bring on to score from set pieces. Had a feeling he’d struggle to move up, despite having some seasons in L1 previous. Really vital player last season and probably MTs best signing in terms of expectation v reality.

Can definitely see that one happening, much like MJ.

SaintJames

Heard this from another person now too. Would be more disappointed about losing Dieng than Jay to be honest, pops up with valuable goals and offers more than Chauke IMO.

Presuming he is still with us on Saturday, will be interesting to see if he is in the squad.
Even if Tim is still with us on Saturday if a fee is involved I dont think either the player or either club would want him involved just in case? Thanks Benji for update nice to know he has another year on his deal