• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

SaintJames

That's still going to take some convincing as far as I'm concerned. He is 28 now and probably playing the best football of his life. If you look at his record with Cambridge and Colchester, one in seven and one in six respectively, you have to wonder why it has taken so long for him to find this kind of form. Sometimes players find themselves somewhere where it works for them and it's whether they understand that themselves. Look at Ryan Harley, he was $h!thot for us. He could things we hadn't seen any player do for a long time, if ever, for us but when he left us it all fell apart for him. Now whether that was down to Swansea/Brighton/Swindon's style, the atmosphere at the respective clubs or something else again, who knows but he came back here and our version of Ryan was back. For some reason, we have got the best out of players like Brown and Harley in recent years be it playing the way we do or whether our management/coaching staff are capable of putting an arm around these lads and getting the best out of them, only they can tell you. Harley was a bit younger than Brown when he left and maybe felt the need to chance his arm at a higher level. Jevani might realise, at his age, the only way he is going to get there is by chancing his arm with us but in the meantime he is playing for club where he is playing well, enjoying his game and he is getting whatever it is he needs to be able to achieve that.
You make a good point. He will be offered two year deals elsewhere on more money than we can offer and at 28 with time running out for him that could prove difficult to turn down for him and his security. Potentially our best chance is by offering him a 3 year deal. Whether we can, or would want to do so is another matter I guess?

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
You make a good point. He will be offered two year deals elsewhere on more money than we can offer and at 28 with time running out for him that could prove difficult to turn down for him and his security. Potentially our best chance is by offering him a 3 year deal. Whether we can, or would want to do so is another matter I guess?
There comes a time in life when a person starts to realise that money doesn't answer everything especially happiness and job satisfaction. Of course nobody is going to turn down more money if it's on offer but in these days of people being more aware of their mental wellbeing I'm sure there comes a point, even in footballers career, where he starts to prioritise making sure he and his family are happy first. You've only got cast an eye backwards through our side and look at Sweenz to see that.

jimbo-gould

I’m not sure it’s fair to say that MJ isn’t capable at playing league one level. When he was thriving he was in a different system to what we play now. For someone who played that well in league two, I find it difficult to believe that they couldn’t step up. I think it is time for him to move on though. He has done great for our club, but for both parties going separate ways would be the best going forward unless we suddenly go back to what worker for him rather than what works for the majority of our current crop of excellent players. I hope for his sake he can bang them in again somewhere, I just can’t see it being with us.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whether MJ stays or not, the "decline in form" narrative on here is wild overstatement.

tonykellowfan

There comes a time in life when a person starts to realise that money doesn't answer everything especially happiness and job satisfaction. Of course nobody is going to turn down more money if it's on offer but in these days of people being more aware of their mental wellbeing I'm sure there comes a point, even in footballers career, where he starts to prioritise making sure he and his family are happy first. You've only got cast an eye backwards through our side and look at Sweenz to see that.
Can you actually give an example of a player who stayed for less money?

My experience is that players have very little loyalty to their clubs and when a better offer comes along they go.

grecIAN Harris

Can you actually give an example of a player who stayed for less money?

My experience is that players have very little loyalty to their clubs and when a better offer comes along they go.
Times change tkf. I'm not saying he will or he won't just suggesting a realistic possibility in today's climes aswell as what I put forward earlier with regard to how Jevani is going on the pitch.

Grecian2K

If the transfer window trawl is as exciting as some of our other recent ones would that make our present "gaffer" a Mini-Caldwell?

And perhaps cause this portion of ExeWeb to be renamed "The Word on Coronation Street"?

Oh for times like 1968 when we managed to also snap up a Sharples (Brian, not Ena)

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whether MJ stays or not, the "decline in form" narrative on here is wild overstatement.
So you don't think his form has declined over the past 12 months?

axred

I've been informed that Colchester were after Jay a while ago aswell, and given his recent bust up with Caldwell, I wouldn't be surprised if he is off
Done deal mate, already said his goodbyes yesterday

Bridgy 81

Done deal mate, already said his goodbyes yesterday
If that’s the case you’d have to assume that given he’s presumably one of our higher earners we’ve either got someone else lined up using those wages or we expected him to leave in the summer so have accepted a fee of some sort for him.