• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sam Nombe is the best striker we've had since?

Memphis09

I'm not having that Jayden was awful at holding up play. He was far from it and his link up play was pretty good. He was also the best defender of corners I have ever seen at City for added extra. I love Sam and he still has raw edges that can improve. But Jayden is still the go to striker in the last few years.
The difference between the two and why I think Sam will be better in the term is simple Pace
Stockley was good but lacked that extra yard which would of made him a top striker

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Again, the question wasn't 'who is the best between them?' which is what you're answering, it is 'Nombe is the best striker since......' and our best striker prior to Nombe was Stockley.
Actually it was Matt Jay last season with 14 league goals, a number Sam has yet to achieve therefore it would be correct to say Nombe is the best striker since Jay. I'm assuming it really doesn't matter if Jay was not an out and out striker but was our best goal scorer. If the title 'striker' really DOES matter then it will be Bowman in 19/20 season with13 league goals, again Sam has yet to surpass that number though I'm sure he will.

21/22. Jay. 14 league goals
20/21. Jay. 18. " "
19/20. Bowman. 13 "
18/19. Stockley. 16 "
17/18. Stockley. 19
16/17. Wheeler. 17 "
15/16. Nichols. 10 "
also Stockley. 10"
14/15. Nichols. 17"
13/14 Gow. 7"
12/13. Cureton. 21" and our last 20 plus league goal scorer. Maybe Sam can surpass this. If so we will have to look back further

Rosencrantz

The difference between the two and why I think Sam will be better in the term is simple Pace
Stockley was good but lacked that extra yard which would of made him a top striker
That's a difference in Sam's favour. You can equally say the difference between the two is getting on the end of a cross which heavily goes in Jayden's favour. They are both strikers but have different strengths. They are actually different enough to be able to play up front together in a partnership if you wanted to. Also, Jayden is probably a better finisher than Sam currently is. That is something Sam is improving on though as is his time on the pitch and off the treatment table. Being for and available for most of this season so far is a big plus for both Sam and ourselves.

Rosencrantz

Actually it was Matt Jay last season with 14 league goals, a number Sam has yet to achieve therefore it would be correct to say Nombe is the best striker since Jay. I'm assuming it really doesn't matter if Jay was not an out and out striker but was our best goal scorer. If the title 'striker' really DOES matter then it will be Bowman in 19/20 season with13 league goals, again Sam has yet to surpass that number though I'm sure he will.

21/22. Jay. 14 league goals
20/21. Jay. 18. " "
19/20. Bowman. 13 "
18/19. Stockley. 16 "
17/18. Stockley. 19
16/17. Wheeler. 17 "
15/16. Nichols. 10 "
also Stockley. 10"
14/15. Nichols. 17"
13/14 Gow. 7"
12/13. Cureton. 21" and our last 20 plus league goal scorer. Maybe Sam can surpass this. If so we will have to look back further
To qualify that a bit Jayden had scored 16 league goals by the end of December in 18/19. In 17/18 he scored 25 in all comps including one in the play offs which doesn't seem to have been counted in your league figures (it depends on where your stats come from as different sites count it in or not) despite only signing on deadline day, missing a fair chunk of the start of the season. In fact he never had a full season with us. 51 goals in 98 says it all for Jayden's record with us. One of the best goals to games ratio's in the clubs history.

But I take this thread to be a bit more subjective than just goalscoring although that will always play a large (probably the largest) part in a conversation about a striker's ability. Such as the stats all point to Jayden being the best goalscorer, but subjectively I would would say Curo was the best quality goalscorer I have seen in recent years. I would also add Rowbotham and Moran to that in my time watching and at a pinch Gary Alexander who was also a very good alround striker. Sam, I think, is in the Gary Alexander mould of being a very good alround striker who is a good goalscorer. The others are very good goalscorers who are also good strikers.

I would still stick with Sam is the best striker since Jayden though for now.

STURTZ

Players have different attributes which makes this kind of comparison thread a bit superfluous. Nombe is quick on the floor but who has been our biggest aerial threat over the last ten years? Certainly not big Sam, hard to think of a consistently good header of the ball amongst our strikers, Stockley probably was as good as anyone (and much better than Bowman!).

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Players have different attributes which makes this kind of comparison thread a bit superfluous. Nombe is quick on the floor but who has been our biggest aerial threat over the last ten years? Certainly not big Sam, hard to think of a consistently good header of the ball amongst our strikers, Stockley probably was as good as anyone (and much better than Bowman!).
He's obviously not a striker but Tim Dieng scores a lot of goals with his head.

STURTZ

He's obviously not a striker but Tim Dieng scores a lot of goals with his head.
Wouldn't class Wheeler as a striker either but very good in the air (didn't score that many headers though).
Only way to judge a striker has to be goals and assists, the winner is.....Tony Kellow!

tonykellowfan

Again, the question wasn't 'who is the best between them?' which is what you're answering, it is 'Nombe is the best striker since......' and our best striker prior to Nombe was Stockley.
Yes but you have to decide if Nombe is better than Stockley to answer the question.

If you think that Nombe is better than Stockley then you have to go further back.

grecIAN Harris

Yes but you have to decide if Nombe is better than Stockley to answer the question.

If you think that Nombe is better than Stockley then you have to go further back.
It's hard to put an argument otherwise when Stockley did the first job of a striker, score goals, as well as he did for us.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's hard to put an argument otherwise when Stockley did the first job of a striker, score goals, as well as he did for us.
I actually think Stockley and Nombe would be good combo, especially if we lose Brown in the Summer and obviously Stansfield will be not returning beyond this season i would imagine.

Jay

Stockley Nombe

For next season.

If Stockley is available on a loan / transfer end of season, it could be done as proper pre planning for next season.