• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sam Nombe is the best striker we've had since?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Curo was a great striker to watch. Jayden, less so but was ruthlessly effective at what he did. Nombe is probably somewhere in the middle of those two at the moment. If he could improve his % goals from chances ratio, he will be off to the Championship for the big bucks. I will continue to enjoy him until he is gone (hopefully for a decent fee).

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sorry but there was only one Tony Kellow, not only did he score goals for fun, but he could do it whilst holding a pint in one hand and a ciggie in the other ! :cool:

iscalad

Watched Kellow,Banks,Binney all the way up until now. Top 3 for me…Kellow, Cureton and Stockley.
No way is Stockley better than Binney. No way. Have a word with yourself.

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Sorry but there was only one Tony Kellow, not only did he score goals for fun, but he could do it whilst holding a pint in one hand and a ciggie in the other! :cool:
Glad to finally see a mention of his brief partner in the box, the great Alan Beer. A player who was also destined to great things before his career was chopped tragically short.

And also no mention of the wonderful Ollie, who it has to be said is still playing and scoring at the highest level (not to mention his goal for England as well) - Although the highlight of his career this far must have been that "mis-hit" against the Argiggle!

Last edited:

Topsham Boy

No way is Stockley better than Binney. No way. Have a word with yourself.
Fair challenge. Binney was a great striker….perhaps a little overlooked on WOWS. And only cost us £4000 from the Gulls in 1970!!!(about £70k now)
Signed by Clough and Taylor when at Brighton….and they knew a thing about football.
Did also play for the GAWS….as did Kellow, but we’ll forgive them both for that.

iscalad

Fair challenge. Binney was a great striker….perhaps a little overlooked on WOWS. And only cost us £4000 from the Gulls in 1970!!!(about £70k now)
Signed by Clough and Taylor when at Brighton….and they knew a thing about football.
Did also play for the GAWS….as did Kellow, but we’ll forgive them both for that.
Quite a few players played for all 3 Devon teams in the 70s. No one paid much notice of it.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sam Parkin

grecIAN Harris

And now we're losing sight of the opening question and the answer still is Stockley.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
And now we're losing sight of the opening question and the answer still is Stockley.
I think it is horses for courses. I think Nombe suits our style of play better than Jayden. That said, I would love to see Jayden back. He is a great striker. Won't happen mind!

grecIAN Harris

I think it is horses for courses. I think Nombe suits our style of play better than Jayden. That said, I would love to see Jayden back. He is a great striker. Won't happen mind!
Again, the question wasn't 'who is the best between them?' which is what you're answering, it is 'Nombe is the best striker since......' and our best striker prior to Nombe was Stockley.