• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Probably at lot Tavy but it seems they're all happy with that, I don't understand it either but we're just minions in the scheme of things.
Kind of makes the perennial whingeing about the Tory funding of public services seem a bit redundant in the big scheme of things don’t you think?
Even if Labour get in and throw more cash at public services in England, under Barnett the formula will just bung more money to Holyrood. 🤷‍♂️

DB9

Kind of makes the perennial whingeing about the Tory funding of public services seem a bit redundant in the big scheme of things don’t you think?
Even if Labour get in and throw more cash at public services in England, under Barnett the formula will just bung more money to Holyrood. 🤷‍♂️
Does it though? IMO the austerity years have reduced PS to virtually unfit for purpose and would have happened even if this formula was reworked or scrapped.

Mr Jinx

Good to hear a Government Minister actually confront a whingeing SNP MP with the truth bomb that says Scotland gets 26% (yes 26%!!) more by way of per capita public spending than England.
How is that massive disparity in funding not a huge political hot potato for English MP’s with their constituents?
Beggars belief.
I've not followed it in great detail, but it would appear that Krankie is having a few problems with her lot.

Is the right wing press making a molehill of a mountain or is there real trouble brewing for wee nippy?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh yes, the Barnett formula and England’s inferior fiscal position has the total support of whole political class in the UK.
I wonder what difference a 26% uplift in English public spending would make to our vital public services?
Care to speculate on that DB?
I'm sure it would be lovely, but if you evened it out you wouldn't get 26% per head would you?

angelic upstart

I've not followed it in great detail, but it would appear that Krankie is having a few problems with her lot.

Is the right wing press making a molehill of a mountain or is there real trouble brewing for wee nippy?
I guess the press in England and the press in Scotland report very different things

tavyred

I'm sure it would be lovely, but if you evened it out you wouldn't get 26% per head would you?
Of course.
That’s still no reason to favour some Brits over others though is it?
I guess like DB you’re relaxed about the situation though and would rather argue the toss about how Tory and Labour would spend that 26% lower budget.
You have to admire the Celts, so frit are English MP’s on exacerbating the end of the Union, they’re cowed into silence on the issue. Imagine Bunter Blackford and crew keeping quiet if the situation were reversed?
No, neither can I. 😁

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Of course.
I guess like DB you’re relaxed about the situation though and would rather argue the toss about how Tory and Labour would spend that 26% lower budget.
You have to admire the Celts, so frit are English MP’s on exacerbating the end of the Union, they’re cowed into silence on the issue. Imagine Bunter Blackford and crew keeping quiet if the situation were reversed?
No, neither can I. 😁
It's not a matter of being relaxed about it, it's that it's currently a non-issue. There's not a single party addressing it. In an ideal world it and a thousand other injustices would be rectified, but they aren't on the table currently.

Reactions: DB9

angelic upstart

Of course.
No, neither can I. 😁
Thing is I can find nothing suggesting 26% anywhere. The most recent data I can find is here - https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/country-and-regional-analysis-2021/country-and-regional-analysis-november-2021

And largely it's as you'd expect. London gets the most and the midlands and north east are forgotten along with Wales.

DB9

Of course.
No, neither can I. 😁
What Hermann say Tavy. FWIW I don't want to see an end to the Union and I think this formula will be an issue more North of the border if the SNP got their way and the Westminster tap gets turned off, I'd honestly like to see the SNP explain it away to the people of Scotland.

Grecian2K

Pardon me for asking Jigzy but what is the relevance of this "wee nippy" thing?

Down yer in the Westcountry that phrase relates to when you need to go for a middle of the night tinkle after you've had to switch all the heating off.

Although you could be right - as more and more of even the "entitled classes" have to turn off the central heating for financial reasons even the right wing blue tops might start acknowledging this present molehill as the mountain it's becoming, even for their loyal readership.