• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Merchandise.

lamrobhero

Does it need to be?
Depends what the remit of the Commercial Department is.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Depends what the remit of the Commercial Department is.
So a possible reason that our merchandise choice is so poor is because the club has told the commercial department it needs to make a certain percentage profit?

lamrobhero

So a possible reason that our merchandise choice is so poor is because the club has told the commercial department it needs to make a certain percentage profit?
I have no inside info. Just a thought.

tom_ecfc

These other Clubs that have a good offering. I wonder what their profit / turnover is. Maybe its not that great.
Even if the turnover isn’t great, its an important part of the club. It links into so many areas, where a profit can be made.

Colesman Ballz

There would be feck all point in running a merchandise operation if it wasn't making a profit, we can't rely on philanthropy alone ! :p

Grecian Max

Firstly, it should be quite straightforward to make a profit.

Offer items that people want to buy, with a reasonable mark up. The audience is very specific so it shouldn't be hard to think of things that would shift, both online and in person. It's easier than it's ever been to source things.

Merchandise helps strengthen that relationship between brand and consumer.

Football has had a renaissance in recent years in the fashion world. We aren't a hipster club like St Pauli, Dulwich, Venezia etc however I still think we miss a trick promoting ourselves to the wider world as well as keeping our local fans happy with things they actually want to buy and not Poundland gifts + whatever is remaining in the Joma cupboard.

I would be looking at limited, timed releases, both retro and new designs; ranges that connect club and fan ownership; items that push the boundary creatively alongside items that are subtle/tasteful for the more reserved audience.

There's loads that can be done, the bear minimum is not being achieved. Through all that, it is tempting to help; however I'm aware of how much time and effort is required -this should really be taken up by the people in charge and not handed to them. IMO.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
There's loads that can be done, the bear minimum is not being achieved. Through all that, it is tempting to help; however I'm aware of how much time and effort is required - this should really be taken up by the people in charge and not handed to them. IMO.
There are lots of Trust board members who frequent ExeWeb. Would be disappointing if one of them didn't take the initiative and, at the very least, have a discussion with someone who boasts considerable expertise in this area.

All this was Max's work and, IMO, is in a different league to anything the club or Trust has come up with in the intervening years!

1904.jpeg

fred binneys head

Might need to be the 1901 team now ;)

Grecian Max

Haha that’s a loooong time ago now btw! c.2009ish when I was a junior designer 😅 Looks quite rough now

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Haha that’s a loooong time ago now btw! c.2009ish when I was a junior designer 😅 Looks quite rough now
I think you’re being overly self critical. In any case, ‘quite rough‘ or not, it looks a whole lot better than anything on offer from the club.