• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

WC 2022 Yay or "Meh"

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Welsh fans who were wearing a rainbow hat were told by Qatari security to remove them before entering the stadium, Also a man wearing a rainbow t shirt was told it was not allowed, Again when queuing to get into the USA v Wales game. I honestly believe this is getting really dark and a huge stain on an already tarnished reputation of FIFA.
This is normal behaviour to the people of Qatar. Not everyone has the same values.

iscalad

This is normal behaviour to the people of Qatar. Not everyone has the same values.
We don't ban the hijab even though it's not in our culture.

angelic upstart

We don't ban the hijab even though it's not in our culture.
Which is completely up to us. France, Belgium, Holland, Bulgaria, Austria, Denmark and many, many more do to some degree.

My point is their countries have laws we may not like, but that's the way it is. It shouldn't be a surprise.

Of course, whether FIFA should have given the world cup to such a country is another matter.

DB9

No not everyone does but the whole ethos of the WC is suppose to bring people together, It's part of the bidding process and the Qatari's did say this would not be a problem and everyone welcome, The same as the booze thing too.

angelic upstart

No not everyone does but the whole ethos of the WC is suppose to bring people together, It's part of the bidding process and the Qatari's did say this would not be a problem and everyone welcome, The same as the booze thing too.
They are, provided they adhere to the laws of the land.

DB9

They are, provided they adhere to the laws of the land.
Is there a law in Qatar about wearing a rainbow hat ot t shirt with a rainbow on it?

angelic upstart

Is there a law in Qatar about wearing a rainbow hat ot t shirt with a rainbow on it?
No idea, I'm not daft enough to visit the place :ROFLMAO:

On balance, I'd guess not. But it may upset the regime. However, they can go to the game, just not with the hat on. Like Chinese Alan in Gavin & Stacey

DB9

No idea, I'm not daft enough to visit the place :ROFLMAO:

On balance, I'd guess not. But it may upset the regime. However, they can go to the game, just not with the hat on. Like Chinese Alan in Gavin & Stacey
The thing that is getting to me is that all what they said to secure the bid is unravelling, You're right of course about the role of FIFA in all this 12 years ago when they voted to letting them hold the WC, This maybe a defining moment in how they decide in the future who holds the WC, FIFA are not coming out of this looking good at all.

angelic upstart

The thing that is getting to me is that all what they said to secure the bid is unravelling, You're right of course about the role of FIFA in all this 12 years ago when they voted to letting them hold the WC, This maybe a defining moment in how they decide in the future who holds the WC, FIFA are not coming out of this looking good at all.
FIFA like everything else. Goes with the money. There are no morals. There never have been. It's only suckers like you & I that do that sort of thing.

tavyred

Welsh fans who were wearing a rainbow hat were told by Qatari security to remove them before entering the stadium, Also a man wearing a rainbow t shirt was told it was not allowed, Again when queuing to get into the USA v Wales game. I honestly believe this is getting really dark and a huge stain on an already tarnished reputation of FIFA.
Just Moslems doing Moslemy things.
It might surprise you to know that we get demo’s outside schools in this country when they try to teach kids about the broad spectrum of sexuality that exists.
Saw a report yesterday saying it that some high ranking Quatari’s are regretting the £200bn it cost to buy the WC as it’s brought the sort of scrutiny they can do without.