• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
SAS Rogue Heroes on BBC1. Drama series about the early days of the SAS in North Africa during WW2.

Jeeze, it’s cheesy nonsense by the look of the first episode, loosely based on true events, complete with music from The Damned(New Rose, Smash it Up) The Clash, Bobby Fuller Four cover, i Fought the Law !! No doubt Rock The Casbah will make a appearance.

It’s like something from the 1950s to 70s where the Second World War was refought in British Cinema & on TV, alas without the superior production from those days.
Just reminds me why I very rarely watch dramas on The BBC or ITV these days.

Reactions: DB9

iscalad

SAS Rogue Heroes on BBC1. Drama series about the early days of the SAS in North Africa during WW2.

Jeeze, it’s cheesy nonsense by the look of the first episode, loosely based on true events, complete with music from The Damned(New Rose, Smash it Up) The Clash, Bobby Fuller Four cover, i Fought the Law !! No doubt Rock The Casbah will make a appearance.

It’s like something from the 1950s to 70s where the Second World War was refought in British Cinema & on TV, alas without the superior production from those days.
Just reminds me why I very rarely watch dramas on The BBC or ITV these days.
Wow. I've just watched the 2nd episode. I'm really enjoying it. Isn't it co produced by Amazon? I thought the production values were excellent.

Oldsmobile-88

Wow. I've just watched the 2nd episode. I'm really enjoying it. Isn't it co produced by Amazon? I thought the production values were excellent.
Only watched the first one Isca, it did not rock my boat 😎

iscalad

Only watched the first one Isca, it did not rock my boat 😎
2nd one is better. They get to blow things up.🙂

Oldsmobile-88

13th November 1977.

After 9 series, the 80th & last episode is aired for the first time on BBC1..’Never too old’

9839FE63-3B75-4E52-B603-BBCBC39E847A.jpeg

iscalad

13th November 1977.

After 9 series, the 80th & last episode is aired for the first time on BBC1..’Never too old’

View attachment 9612
Brilliant series, although it never felt quite the same after James Beck died.

Oldsmobile-88

Brilliant series, although it never felt quite the same after James Beck died.
The script writers tried Talfryn Thomas(1922-82)in the 1974 series playing the character of Mr Cheesman, it did not really work having the extra character to replace Walker.
81DAB1A2-C27B-4447-A0C0-A6326742B8BB.jpeg

Thomas also played the slightly sinister Tom Price in the first series of Survivors also in 1974.

Oldsmobile-88

13th November 1976

Classic early evening line up..Dr Who, then Bruce Forsyth’s Generation Game.

The Duchess of Duke Street followed, a period drama set at the start of the 20th Century through to the end of The Great War.
2 series(31 episodes)
0CF1DC97-EA08-4ED7-B386-0DC96D5F21B0.jpeg2A150E78-3D1C-45F8-8846-934A442F5F61.jpeg

Spoonz Red E

I remember the Shirley Bassey show of that night.
She did a version of Alone Again Naturally and then joined Gilbert at the piano for another song.
She went on to include Alone Again Naturally in her live sets for the next few years.

Also Doctor Who.
It must be a laugh when you're writing sci fi to come up with character names such as 'Chancellor Goth', 'Co-ordinator Engin' and my favourite of that episode - 'Castellan Spandrell'.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

I remember the Shirley Bassey show of that night.
She did a version of Alone Again Naturally and then joined Gilbert at the piano for another song.
She went on to include Alone Again Naturally in her live sets for the next few years.

Also Doctor Who.
It must be a laugh when you're writing sci fi to come up with character names such as 'Chancellor Goth', 'Co-ordinator Engin' and my favourite of that episode - 'Castellan Spandrell'.
Not a bad line up on Shirley Bassey with Johnny Nash too.