• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Plymouth Argyle Vs Exeter City Match Day Thread

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
There was no chance of our defenders closing their player down he had a full 20 yards of space, The issue was Blackman's positioning left Mumba practically a half of the goal to shoot at instead of moving across but he was totally flat footed maybe as a result of carrying too much timber?
He had four of our players, and god knows how many green ones, blocking his view of the ball.

It was def a fault of the closing down, and not the keeper.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
4-2 definitely flattered them but when you can bring on Hardie its no surprise.
Can't argue with bringing on the subs, they just played poorly.
And Jamie Mackie is dead to me now.
What did Mackie do wrong?

Majago

It was a good game, we were good in patches but have to tighten up defensively. Plymouth are a very good side and the lad Mumba is clearly too good for L1.

Not sure why some are blaming Blackman. It's about defenders closing down quicker and marking tighter in the box, making sure that if you can't get first contact you block the sight of goal. We're just too open and something I'm sure Caldwell will be working on immediately.

We'll be fine to stay up, comfortably mid table I would say. Argyle will lose their manager before long, he clearly knows what he's doing, and even if they don't they'll have a blip shortly as all teams do. They'll have slipped in to playoffs by February.

Archie Collins was our best player, Kite close second, and you have to love Stanno.
Totally agree with this assessment, saves me posting similar.

Only thing I'd add is that I thought the ref was excellent tonight. Let a pretty feisty game flow well and didn't want to be the centre of attention.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
He downright knows he's off to Rotherham in January. Would effect any player knowing there's a fat pay check and big move coming in a few months
He won't be going to Rotherham in January

Topsham Boy

Wasn't expecting much pre match just hoped we'd put a performance in and not disgrace ourselves and that's what we did.

Changes probably didn't have the impact we needed, sort out the sloppy defending and we'll be motoring.

Still sat 10th and well away from danger and that's all we all wanted pre season.

I'm sure the giddiness is in full flow down the road which is odd when you consider they believe their only ever 25 minutes away from winning the champions league or what ever else their convinced they'll do.
Just remember…the GAWS are serial underachievers. We however are getting better and stronger.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
He had four of our players, and god knows how many green ones, blocking his view of the ball.

It was def a fault of the closing down, and not the keeper.
Tend to agree. Three of our defenders on top of each other too.

JayPob94

Caldwells interview very good. Feel like we have a very very good manager on our hands here

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Work to be done.Another tough match on Saturday and a few players still have to improve their match fitness.Pick up enough points to keep us in the top half and we will see what the January sales turn up.Forget about the keeper,we have two on the books that will produce transfer income.There's no room for any more.

Alistair20000

Totally agree with this assessment, saves me posting similar.

Only thing I'd add is that I thought the ref was excellent tonight. Let a pretty feisty game flow well and didn't want to be the centre of attention.
Agree on the ref. Not a card issued either. Looked like a friendly uncle when having words with Jay Stansfield

grecIAN Harris

Argyle now on their best home run in history. Was always going to be tough. I'm not bothered about losing, but when we are 2-1 up, to lose 4-2 is just completely unacceptable.

We are still soft as kittens defensively which is a trend that came from the majority of Matt Taylors reign, and got worse under Nicholsons stint.

Neither manager would give the players a rocket, but Caldwell will eat them alive.

Blackman is just shocking, thank the lord he's only on a one year contract.

We swap keepers tonight we win the game.

Argyle good but nothing special and I don't actually think theyll go up.
Don't get the Blackman critique. Left undressed for the three goals inside the box and couldn't see the other one until it was pretty much in front of him.