• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Fleetwood Town match day thread

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hope he isn't injured again now, although he looked OK walking off! AA was right again!
He isn’t injured, it was just fatigue.

Exehausted

But who do you drop to allow us to play the extra man in midfield? Possibly Jevani on current form but would we lack a creative spark without him on the pitch.
I said this today. We need the extra man in midfield and I would leave Jevani on the bench on Tuesday. Assuming we don't have any injuries from today I would go Sweeney, Diabate and Alex, then Josh and Jack as wing backs and Archie, Harry and Tim in the middle and Jay and Sam up front. The chap next to me said it'd be madness to drop Brown as he's one of the best players in our Division. He can be and I think he'd make a great sub to come on after 65 minutes if we are still in the game and make a real difference. I think the extra solidity it gives us helps the wing backs to push forward with confidence. I would play this formation at Argyle as well. Both teams will start on the front foot and come at us. With those three in the middle we have three good tacklers, and they can all break forward and supply a good pass. Now really looking forward to Tuesday. Come on you Reds!

ChardGrecian

That's why I said it was a tough decision. The front three are in good goalscoring form but we do not have the same control of games we had before, say Port Vale, Wycombe or MK Dons in the second half, where we . Apart from the FGR we haven't really got Jevani into the game as much would be ideal. Changing the formation again to a flat back four would also come with some problems as we are best served with a back three with our current options and again, who would you leave out when we have most back fit.

The only caveat I would put is that I would want to see Sweenz and Josh back in their normal positions first. As I said before you don't realise how much control in possession Sweenz gives us until it's not there.

The change in formation came through injuries to Kite and Dieng in the first place with Stanno basically preferred to Kegs in the starting XI. It just doesn't feel it is totally justified in staying that way now they are back. It is a tough choice as it is basically picking either individual form or most balanced team shape. Sometimes someone gets dropped when their individual form doesn't necessarily deserve it but for the good of the team.
Drop Caprice

Grecianpasty

I said this today. We need the extra man in midfield and I would leave Jevani on the bench on Tuesday. Assuming we don't have any injuries from today I would go Sweeney, Diabate and Alex, then Josh and Jack as wing backs and Archie, Harry and Tim in the middle and Jay and Sam up front. The chap next to me said it'd be madness to drop Brown as he's one of the best players in our Division. He can be and I think he'd make a great sub to come on after 65 minutes if we are still in the game and make a real difference. I think the extra solidity it gives us helps the wing backs to push forward with confidence. I would play this formation at Argyle as well. Both teams will start on the front foot and come at us. With those three in the middle we have three good tacklers, and they can all break forward and supply a good pass. Now really looking forward to Tuesday. Come on you Reds!
I agree that Brown should probably be dropped. I don’t see it happening though. Tuesdays one of those one off games where we can play with freedom, as everyone will expect derby to take the game to us. It’s a big pitch, which will also suit brown.

Rosencrantz

Drop Caprice
That was kind of factored in with Sweenz and Key back in position if you didn't spot it 🙂

Exehausted

I agree that Brown should probably be dropped. I don’t see it happening though. Tuesdays one of those one off games where we can play with freedom, as everyone will expect derby to take the game to us. It’s a big pitch, which will also suit brown.
I don't see it happening either, it's just what I'd do. You never know what the new man thought of it today, assuming he was there. He might prefer a different system. Today's result gives us a bit of breathing space but with the run we've got coming up we really needed it.

Alistair20000

Jamal caught one that came straight at hm.
Archie blocked one that could have been goal bound.
My recollection too

SaintJames

I don't see it happening either, it's just what I'd do. You never know what the new man thought of it today, assuming he was there. He might prefer a different system. Today's result gives us a bit of breathing space but with the run we've got coming up we really needed it.
I understand where you are coming from but drop a player that is third highest goal scorer and highest for assists after two quiet games? He is a confidence player who the previous manager loved and I'm thinking Jev is just feeling a little unsure about what happens with the new man in place. Last thing he needs is a dent to his confidence we need to put our collective arms around him. The new manager will recognise the special talent he has and would be foolish not to build the team around him. Caprice however failed his interview today and will I suspect be the first to be 'rested' under the new gaffa

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Look what can happen when City win at home ...................... would be good if Chris M could afford to become a Trust Member we could probably get Ronaldo in January !

arthur

I agree that Brown should probably be dropped.
It wasn't that long ago that people said that come January it was certain he would be playing in the top half of the Championship for a club managed by a bloke called Taylor