• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Charlton Athletic v Exeter City Oct 11th 7:45 ko Matchday thread.

tom_ecfc

Watching iFollow, I noticed a few players and staff coming out the tunnel and into the dugout. Noticed a familiar figure in Conor Derbridge in a Charlton tracksuit. Not sure if I’ve missed this but looks like his ‘London move’ was to Charlton where he is now the strength and conditioning coach.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Point taken on the 3rd Ian, but theres no defending the fourth: I have no idea what he was thinking about on that one. I also thought he might have done a bit better with the first. He had a clear view of that shot, and got down to it in a timely fashion (He guessed right), yet a fella of his stature couldnt get something on that shot after he made it all the way across the goal? Possibly poor judgement? I also do wish he would communicate with his fellow defenders a bit more. It appears he prefers to be left alone.
I was behind the goal which is a different ball game to what I saw on the highlights. The first goal firstly was hit with extreme power but the main factor was there was a deflection of a defender which took it over the gloves of where Blackman thought he would be making the save

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Watching iFollow, I noticed a few players and staff coming out the tunnel and into the dugout. Noticed a familiar figure in Conor Derbridge in a Charlton tracksuit. Not sure if I’ve missed this but looks like his ‘London move’ was to Charlton where he is now the strength and conditioning coach.
I thought I spotted him too - see Post 198

Red Monster

Point taken on the 3rd Ian, but theres no defending the fourth: I have no idea what he was thinking about on that one. I also thought he might have done a bit better with the first. He had a clear view of that shot, and got down to it in a timely fashion (He guessed right), yet a fella of his stature couldnt get something on that shot after he made it all the way across the goal? Possibly poor judgement? I also do wish he would communicate with his fellow defenders a bit more. It appears he prefers to be left alone.
Just watched it again Pete he would have saved the first one but got a slight deflection off Hartridge that lifted it over his dive .

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
KN probably doesn't need the contacts as Marcus Flitcroft used to do most of it for MT - I believe MT said that Marcus couldn't wait to get contacts from Jon Hill.
Disregarding the "here and now" could mean we start off next season in L2 and needs careful managing until we are safe.
UTC
What you say at face value makes perfect sense. However, playing devils advocate here what happens in your scenario if Marcus leaves at some stage in the next few months. It cant have gone un noticed what a terrific job he has done and im sure MF is just as ambitious to prove his worth elsewhere notably now that his buddy has left. Secondly, your response seems to imply that only KN can provide us with managing the team well enough to stay in L1? There is a risk to our survival in this league whether it be KN or AN Other I think.

Bridgy 81

To me KN offers many of the fan base a 'comfort blanket' he seems the perfect solution to maintaining de facto the Matty Taylor legacy. However, we were all/most of us delighted when Matty tore up the post Tisdale era with a somewhat radical approach. Yes he was an internal appointment but he was very different to his predecessor. It didnt seem like change but it was a culture shift. With Taggy at the helm the emphasis on our Academy wont change whichever candidate becomes the Manager. Similarly you mention about the system and clearly only a fool would change what works best with the players we have. But what if e.g. Artell or say Luke Gerrard or Andy Woodman already use such a system and equally have a track record of developing young players? Suddenly having an 'external' appointment isn't significantly different after all?
Finally, the most significant issue for me isnt the here and now of maintaining this season but this summer when as you say key players depart. That process needs to start now not discovering six months later that actually KN doesnt actually have the contacts to replace Josh Key, Archie, Jevani and Blackman. So for me radical overhaul is already in process as it is inevitable that planning for a new cycle is already upon the new manager
I don’t really have a preference in relation to our whether our new Manager is an internal or external appointment.
I suppose the point I was trying to make is that we’re in the slightly unusual position of needing a new Manager and Assistant whilst things are currently going well on and off the pitch.
So if it’s someone coming in from outside that’s fine by me provided it’s a good choice.
But in that situation I hope they’re not tempted to ‘put their stamp on things’ and in doing that interrupt and undermine what’s already working well and that includes the team’s set up which seems to suit the players we have.
We’ve got enough challenges as it is from our actual opponents without shooting ourselves in the foot by introducing someone (whoever that is) feeling the need to fix something that isn’t currently broken.

Last edited:

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
What you say at face value makes perfect sense. However, playing devils advocate here what happens in your scenario if Marcus leaves at some stage in the next few months. It cant have gone un noticed what a terrific job he has done and im sure MF is just as ambitious to prove his worth elsewhere notably now that his buddy has left. Secondly, your response seems to imply that only KN can provide us with managing the team well enough to stay in L1? There is a risk to our survival in this league whether it be KN or AN Other I think.
Agreed that our future under any management is uncertain but IMHO "better the devil you know" & our fan owned club ethos according to Julian Tagg (AGM Address 2019) is that we "grow our own" whether players or backroom staff - extract below:-

"And what of the academy, what’s to be said? Well of course we always talk about young players, and why not, but for a moment let’s look at some of the football staff succession planning, a perhaps unseen role that the Academy plays quietly but hugely effectively.
 Matt Taylor ex-player, employed as the under 23s academy coach, now manager.
 Wayne Carlisle ex player, employed as the academy’s coach educator now assistant manager.
 Dan Green ex YT, elevated from under 18s coach to the boot room as the under 23s coach
 Dan started at 10 years old as did Arran Pugh a C.of Ex player now Head of Academy
It’s not an accident, and it’s not luck. It’s not easy to replace that kind of coaching and managerial talent especially when the success of the Academy is an aspect that we are reliant on, but that work continues."

I'd rather we have a steady ship than change course early season.

UTC

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just seen the highlights. Not sure I'd blame Blackman for any of the goals, Caprice on the other hand needs to be much stronger on their second and fourth goals, particularly the 2nd as he was favourite to win that ball.

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've just watched all the goals from last night and I'm left wondering what the hell some of you are on about with regards Blackman and the third goal. How do you work out he should have done better with it? One second he's watching a mishit shot drifting harmlessly wide, the next he's got a shot coming at him from no more than three yards away without having the time to reset his stance or positioning. If he'd reacted a tenth of a second quicker you'd all be banging on about save of the century because he would have got the whole of his foot to be ball and be able to direct it away from goal instead of it catching the back half of his foot and not being able to do a lot about it.
He can't get down very quickly, Cam would have saved that IMO. But respect your view.

Fourth one, horrendous positioning all round.

C j phill

In this situation, the Club would need to ensure that it took intellectual ownership of all information gained by Marcus, while he was an employee of Exeter City Football Club.

I'd hope that whoever has Legal and HR responsibilities at Club Club Board level could sort this out.