• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bringing Forward Saturday Kick Off Times

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
They could also try fracking under Crealy Park to supply the energy needs?

Boyo

Boyo I'm really surprised at the size of this quote. My own solar installation cost £9,500 9 years ago and has paid for itself several times over. Also I have 16 panels rather than the 11 in your quote.. I keep hearing that the installation cost has halved since then so I would advise you to look around as your quote certainly seems excessive.
I was also surprised by the high quote. The problem is that getting anyone to provide a quote is difficult due to demand, indeed some have a 12 month wait for an initial consultation. I'm thinking that they are massively overstretched due to the energy crisis and hence can charge pretty much what they like.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
So for the C&F with the amount of 'squiggly juice' they consume per week/month i'd say you can at least quadruple that. Just think 50/60 players plus coaches showering 5 days a week, plus the running costs of the kitchen etc, then there are the offices to run and heat. It might be cheaper to build another Hinkley C than buy sufficient solar panels! :)
Err, so you didn't suggest solar for the Cliff Hill 7 posts above???

Andy_H

Err, so you didn't suggest solar for the Cliff Hill 7 posts above???
I'm a total supporter of solar Power power at the C&F as was seen by my question about it at the Phoenix Centre meeting ref C&F Redevelopment.
The poster quoted a 3 bedroom house at £5k+, i linked that to the requirement for the C&F which would be far in excess of a 3 bedroom semi's requirements.
Unless you can get sufficient solar panels, at a reasonable price, to satisfy the C&F needs then it's still a bit of a pipe dream, but certainly worth working towards. It's the return on your investment that is, in my opinion, the biggest stumbling block. A rough [gu]estimate would suggest at least 10/12 years from an initial cost north of £50/60k, ECFC just does not have that dosh sloshing around in their piggy bank, unless another youngster goes on to 'Ollie' type things.

Boyo

Am I right in thinking that the Trust has a chunk of cash in the bank? If so, then solar panels would potentially be worthy a investment.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm a total supporter of solar Power power at the C&F as was seen by my question about it at the Phoenix Centre meeting ref C&F Redevelopment.
The poster quoted a 3 bedroom house at £5k+, i linked that to the requirement for the C&F which would be far in excess of a 3 bedroom semi's requirements.
Unless you can get sufficient solar panels, at a reasonable price, to satisfy the C&F needs then it's still a bit of a pipe dream, but certainly worth working towards. It's the return on your investment that is, in my opinion, the biggest stumbling block. A rough [gu]estimate would suggest at least 10/12 years from an initial cost north of £50/60k, ECFC just does not have that dosh sloshing around in their piggy bank, unless another youngster goes on to 'Ollie' type things.
Inflation pays a bog part in solar recovery costs. For example my FIT payment started at 45 per unit but is now mote than 60p per unit. It is inflation protected for 25 years.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Am I right in thinking that the Trust has a chunk of cash in the bank? If so, then solar panels would potentially be worthy a investment.
Not so sure about that. The Club did repay the c£800k longstanding loan from the Trust from the Ollie windfall. This reduced the Club's tax liabilities that would have otherwise arisen. However the Trust is now committed to loanlng money to the Club to cover the increased cost of the Cat n Fiddle improvements, which will be needed in the next few months. It does also carry a cash reserve to cover any future emergency needs, but whether there is any additional funds on top that could be used I know not. With the Trust AGM coming up soon, accounts will be published and the exact picture should become clearer.
It certainly could be considered if cash becomes available but would be competing against all other projects or expenditure.

David Treharne

Wouln't it be best to wait until after the Trust AGM, and the financial statement, therein, before anybody starts putting forward suggestions like this. Perhaps those figure will be something greater than a quick flash through a powerpoint presentation, and an oppotunity to see what the Trust is already committed to?

Andy_H

Inflation pays a bog part in solar recovery costs. For example my FIT payment started at 45 per unit but is now mote than 60p per unit. It is inflation protected for 25 years.
But Adrian, what is the FIT for commercial properties, is it the same as domestic properties or do commercial properties come under a different set of rules and/or payments?

The Feed-in Tariff scheme closed to new applications on 31 March 2019 and the scheme has been replaced by the smart export guarantee (SEG), which came in on 1 January 2020. Unfortunately, this sort of development, now has an even longer payback as the additional payment through the Non-Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive Scheme (NDRHI) also closed to new applicants on 31 March 2021.

A quick scan on the internet shows that the best SEG tariff at the moment is from Tesla/Octopus which is 10/12p per kWh (and it is likely to be much different for Commercial applicants), so well done Adrian, you got in at the right time, but it is best not to assume the payback will be as good now as it was then