• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

10 games in.....

Cowshed Grecian

In a way it's kind of irrelevant that we've played none of the big teams yet. The main objective for this season is to stay up and we've seen enough so far to suggest that there should be 4 worse teams than us.
We ain’t going down. For me we’ve shown we are easily better than at least half the division already. The games we’ve lost you would have to debate the teams we played were actually better than us.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
But we have, No could of, Would of, Should of. We've played 10 got the points by either winning or drawing so there's no "However", Bit like saying we'd won those games we lost if....... but we didn't, Don't dwell, Move on and hope for the best.
I get that. I guess the point I was trying to make is I would have expected us to have accumulated this many points given the fixtures we've had so far.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Very promising. I think we were a bit naive / unlucky in a couple we’ve lost as well, and should learn from that and luck evens out. If not decimated by injury for any significant period I’m expecting big things by our standards from this team

sign of the chimes

If the minimum objective is to stay up - as stated elsewhere on this thread - then a point a game from here should achieve that. The last few seasons have seen the bottom 4 score quite a lot fewer than 50 points that 1 ppg would bring you. The last team to get relegated with that are situated to the west of you.

My only concern would be your lack of squad depth, and the risk of injuries to key personnel, which could really stitch you up. It's not a criticism because I appreciate the parameters you're working to.

On my own assupmtions about your relative wage bill a comfortably mid-table finish would be a remarkable achievement and anything more than that amazing; though not impossible as Wycombe proved a couple of years ago with promotion from L1 on what what was said to be a lower-mid table L2 budget.

eurogrecian

Very pleasing start to the season. We've certainly shown that we have what takes to maintain our place in L1.
I'm sure we'll take a few scalps of the big-time Charlies in the division, so not worried about that.
Home crowds have been very encouraging considering the economic situation in world-beating Britain.

We should be looking up rather than down. A mid-table finish would be great and I think we'll do it.

SaintJames

Very pleasing start to the season. We've certainly shown that we have what takes to maintain our place in L1.
I'm sure we'll take a few scalps of the big-time Charlies in the division, so not worried about that.
Home crowds have been very encouraging considering the economic situation in world-beating Britain.

We should be looking up rather than down. A mid-table finish would be great and I think we'll do it.
I agree with this Euro. My prediction at the start of the season was to finish 12-15th and I am still sticking to that. I believe the Manager and squad whilst realistic are more confident in having a half decent season than most of the fan base are which is because we have been more conditioned to accept mediocrity over the years lol

Pete Martin (CTID)

Consistency will be the key.

Our squad are easily good enough to perform well in L1 but there have already been some inconsistent performances from a few players. Fantastic in one game, mediocre in another.

That is not a criticism, but I think it is a big factor with many lower league players in most L1 and L2 teams and is the reason why such players never rise to a higher level.

If MT can get them all to improve consistency I think we will do very well.

Average Joe

10 games in and we've hardly had a run against the big hitters in the league, in October we have Barnsley away, Derby Away and Plymouth away. November we have Peterborough and Ipswich and in December we have Sheffield Wednesday and Bolton back to back.

I'll make my mind up on how well we're doing mid December.

For the benefit of answering the question, the first ten games and I'm buzzing, we have played some outstanding football at times and we have beaten fellow promotion FGR 4-0. Outstanding start seems we really haven't signed any proven league one players apart from our GK. We are above all teams that got promoted last year and that's something good to go on, so far we have progressed into a proven mid table league one team.

andrew p long

We are not far away from being either a very good team or one that could struggle. As many have said, a good team, but a thin squad. If each game we had a fully fit Diabate or a fully fit Stubbs available then - with the strength elsewhere in the squad - we can give anyone a game at this level. However this current makeshift back line doesn't look good enough to repel the quality of League One attacks we will face (FGR excepted!).

I'm glad we've got to 14 points. We have all the better/stronger/famous/well resourced teams to play. October (without Diabate or Stubbs) will be much more difficult than the fixtures to date and we will want to keep clear of the relegation places during the injury crisis.

The fixtures are similar in the second half of the season - a very difficult run in during April, so we will need to be well positioned at the end of March.

Bridgy 81

10 games in and we've hardly had a run against the big hitters in the league, in October we have Barnsley away, Derby Away and Plymouth away. November we have Peterborough and Ipswich and in December we have Sheffield Wednesday and Bolton back to back.

I'll make my mind up on how well we're doing mid December.

For the benefit of answering the question, the first ten games and I'm buzzing, we have played some outstanding football at times and we have beaten fellow promotion FGR 4-0. Outstanding start seems we really haven't signed any proven league one players apart from our GK. We are above all teams that got promoted last year and that's something good to go on, so far we have progressed into a proven mid table league one team.
The fact that we haven’t played any of the ‘better’ teams yet has been mentioned a lot in this thread and is obviously a factor.
But I don’t suppose many of us were anticipating we’d be challenging for the playoffs or autos this season,
so what we need to ensure is that we have decent results against teams likely to be in and around us.
All 4 of our wins so far and both draws have been against sides currently below us in the table.
2 of our defeats have been to teams above us and (unfortunately) the other 2 were against teams below.
Carry on in this vein and we should secure a comfortable-ish mid table position and then if we maybe nick some points from matches against the big boys (which I think we’re more than capable of doing) who knows?