• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Player Budget

ExmouthMart

We don't own the whole building.
I am sure I remember seeing somewhere that The President said OTR had returned to Club ownership. What would be the point of someone holding onto a small share of it, as I believe no one has ever made a penny out of OTR.
OTR

There are some aspects that need clarification about the position regarding the building known as OTR, or the Centre Spot to some, St James Building to others.

Everyone should be very clear. The rent paid to OTR by the club goes directly to pay off the loan taken out to build and fit out the building at the outset. It should be made equally clear that the directors by the rule of the mem and arts cannot, do not, and have not taken, nor been allowed at any point to take one penny over the past 20 years from OTR Ltd.

The loans, which were placed 20 years ago are completely interest free. Recently on retirement Steve Perryman asked if his interest free £30k loan could be repaid. The club decided to buy, at par, Steve’s share. It also magnanimously asked if I would like my £15k bought out at the same time. I gratefully accepted and my £15k was returned. When I put it in to help the club in 1999 it would have paid for a deposit on a house last year when I got it back its barely enough for a deposit on a new Range Rover!

Finally it should be clear that the M&A’s also say that the club can demand its ownership by payment at par (ie only loans outstanding no interest nor dividend) whenever it wants. It’s something that is currently being looked at in the round by club and Trust. I hope that clears it up once and for all but, somehow, I doubt it… Julian Tagg Trust AGM Nov 2018.

Reactions: WXF
Everyone should be very clear. The rent paid to OTR by the club goes directly to pay off the loan taken out to build and fit out the building at the outset. It should be made equally clear that the directors by the rule of the mem and arts cannot, do not, and have not taken, nor been allowed at any point to take one penny over the past 20 years from OTR Ltd.
Trouble was, though, the "fit out" was a bit of a vanity project with the likes of Frowd spending silly amounts on the bar top/curtains/kitchen in the Executive Lounge (which I see the former has now been replaced - no surprise there, for some reason the bar was made bigger than the space available for customers!) and thruppence 'apence on the supporters (riff-raff) bar. The layout of the 'new Centrespot' downstairs bar was/is a disgrace, it serves a matchday purpose but lacks the charm of a post-war village hall. With a bit more thought on this part of the development it could have been earning money seven days a week by creating a more homely atmosphere, I mean they had a blank canvas to start with.

I am pleased that there was no money to be made by the directors of OTR Ltd, but their half-hearted attempt to replace the glorious 'Old' Centrespot, ploughing their funds into looking after the prawn-sandwich eaters meant that the potential for the Football Club to earn some desperately needed funds, at the time, were, and still are, severely limited to a few grand 23 times a year.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
It seems like if we ever needed an FA Cup run, this year might be it. Despite just earning £750,000 or so in additional transfer fees.

Lowest rank club away twice for TV and then a huge club away will do this year.

Cowshed Grecian

It seems like if we ever needed an FA Cup run, this year might be it. Despite just earning £750,000 or so in additional transfer fees.

Lowest rank club away twice for TV and then a huge club away will do this year.
It’s why things need to be looked at, clearly not sustainable. We’ve had our fair share of cup run glamour ties in the last 20 years. Still relying on lucky windfalls.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
It’s why things need to be looked at, clearly not sustainable. We’ve had our fair share of cup run glamour ties in the last 20 years. Still relying on lucky windfalls.
We always will under the current model, as many clubs do even with benefactors.

The issue imho is football wide. The game at all levels is not sustainable and much more regulation of spending / wages etc. Is required

tom_ecfc

The game at all levels is not sustainable and much more regulation of spending / wages etc. Is required
There should be a cap on wages (team and player) in each league. That would be a start of a more sustainable football league structure.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
There should be a cap on wages (team and player) in each league. That would be a start of a more sustainable football league structure.
Agreed 110%

Football's only way to sustainability is to impose Premiership Rugby style spending protocols, of which big punishments commence if rules broken.

i8cornwall

Agreed 110%

Football's only way to sustainability is to impose Premiership Rugby style spending protocols, of which big punishments commence if rules broken.
Not sure Premiership Rugby is the best example to be using currently with Worcester and Wasps both in trouble.

Andy_H

Agreed 110%

But that doesn't/didn't work cue the likes of Wasps & Worcester in deep financial trouble, plus almost all the rest of the 13 clubs that make up the Premiership Rugby 'cartel' are struggling, between them they owe HMRC almost £35m.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wasp's and Worcester are not in trouble per say because of there wage bill.

Worcester have suffered really badly through the pandemic and Wasp's is because of stadium debt rather than directly wages.

But the principle of budget caps etc. based on league is a good one, with relevant punishments for breaches.