• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Forest Green vs Exeter - discussion and prediction thread

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
I sense a certain amount of trepidation at this fixture and a distinct lack of "knowledgible" advice to our manager in team selection or tactics. Truth is we are totally unsure of ourselves following recent results, our thin squad and growing injury list. Got to trust MT on this one chums, my guess is he'll play Harry Smith. We've had little success with our clever passing game v other teams that are on the face of it, not very good. I think he'll go for a more physical approach against FGR with Sparkes providing the balls into the box, Get a goal or two up, tighten up at the back, introduce Stanno and Nombe and hit them on the break.

Last edited:

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really nervous about this one for some reason.

Feel like we can't afford a defeat here with some really tough fixtures on the horizon - doing my best to be positive but Saturday was so desperately poor I'm struggling! FGR seem like they were equally as poor so here's hoping for a bounce back from the lads.

UTC

tonykellowfan

I sense a certain amount of trepidation at this fixture and a distinct lack of "knowledgible" advice to our manager in team selection or tactics. Truth is we are totally unsure of ourselves following recent results, our thin squad and growing injury list. Got to trust MT on this one chums, my guess is he'll play Harry Smith. We've had little success with our clever passing game v other teams that are on the face of it, not very good. I think he'll go for a more physical approach against Burton with Sparkes providing the balls into the box, Get a goal or two up, tighten up at the back, introduce Stanno and Nombe and hit them on the break.
Bit late for that now.

robchave

With the game being televised by Sky, does anyone know if it's still available on ifollow for those of us based abroad?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
With the game being televised by Sky, does anyone know if it's still available on ifollow for those of us based abroad?
Yes, it should be. That seemed to be the conclusion on the Argiggle thread.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I sense a certain amount of trepidation at this fixture and a distinct lack of "knowledgible" advice to our manager in team selection or tactics. Truth is we are totally unsure of ourselves following recent results, our thin squad and growing injury list. Got to trust MT on this one chums, my guess is he'll play Harry Smith. We've had little success with our clever passing game v other teams that are on the face of it, not very good. I think he'll go for a more physical approach against FGR with Sparkes providing the balls into the box, Get a goal or two up, tighten up at the back, introduce Stanno and Nombe and hit them on the break.
Village Green will try and play 'properly' unlike Cheltenham and Burton, I presume that's who you were referring to, so we'll go about as usual a business as we can and win 3-1. I say 'as usual a business' as we have that very large hole at centre back which means we are almost certainly going to have to change formation to accommodate it. As you might have read after the Burton, I think we're going to have to end up playing 4-3-3 to get round pegs in round holes which could mean the unleashing of The Dream Team (Brown, Nombe and Stanno) up front from the start.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we should play all our attacking players of Smith, Nombe, Brown, Stanno, and MJ, and also our best crossers of the ball from wide areas in Sparkes and Sweeney, and just keep swinging the ball in the box every time we get it. Play Hartridge and utilise the long throw in to their box for every throw we get in their half. Complete the rest of the team with whoever is biggest to fill the defensive spots. No playing out from the back just get it forward at the earliest opportunity from goalkeeper/defence to the forward men. I don't care how unattractive this looks to the neutrals watching on TV. It will work.

7 nil to City.
Smith x5, Stanno x1, Nombe x1

Trampus

Village Green will try and play 'properly' unlike Cheltenham and Burton, I presume that's who you were referring to, so we'll go about as usual a business as we can and win 3-1. I say 'as usual a business' as we have that very large hole at centre back which means we are almost certainly going to have to change formation to accommodate it. As you might have read after the Burton, I think we're going to have to end up playing 4-3-3 to get round pegs in round holes which could mean the unleashing of The Dream Team (Brown, Nombe and Stanno) up front from the start.
Having watched Brown, Nombe and Stanno in the last two games, I’d suggest that dream team as a descriptor is more than a bit OTT. Suspect that Smith and a bit of good old fashioned hoof might yield a better result

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Having read the Vegans forum they are more dispondent than Exeweb and if the Vegans injuries are as bad as reported then they would appear in a worse position than us, as Harris inferred I wouldn't be surprised to see a change in formation particularly as we have a whole week to practice adjust tighten and hopefully no further training injuries. Unlike Harris I don't expect to see the 'dream team' up front, or perhaps it will be if you allow for Smith instead of Nombe. Wouldn't be surprised t see a couple of youngsters n the bench either for the experience. I would anticipate the following

Blackman
Key Sweeney Hartridge Sparkes
Collins Harper Kite
Brown (J) Smith Stansfield

Subs
Brown (S) Caprice Jay Borges/King Nombe Chauke Cox

A more direct style sees us winning 3-1 with Stansfield notching a brace and Smith getting his first for the club 1023 supporters make it up the hill to witness a turn around in form. Not all good news as Sweeney gets booked and is then suspended for the Gas

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster