• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Totti good guy

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น ๐“๐จ๐ญ๐ญ๐ข ๐ฐ๐ก๐ž๐ง ๐š๐ฌ๐ค๐ž๐ ๐จ๐ง ๐ฐ๐ก๐ฒ ๐ก๐ž ๐ซ๐ž๐Ÿ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ž๐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฃ๐จ๐ข๐ง ๐‘๐ž๐š๐ฅ ๐Œ๐š๐๐ซ๐ข๐ ๐ข๐ง ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ”: "They taught us at school that family is the most important thing for a human. Roma is my family. Have you even heard of someone who left his poor parents to live with rich strangers?" ๐Ÿ”ฅ

The epitome of loyalty, Francesco Totti! ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น

tom_ecfc

Other 1 club only players include:

- Ryan Giggs, Man Utd - 900+ apps
- Paolo Maldini, AC Milan - 900+ apps
- Francesco Totti, Roma - 786 apps
- Jamie Carragher, Liverpool - 737 apps
- Tony Adams, Arsenal - 672 apps
- Richardo Bochini, Club Athรฉtico Independiente - 630+ apps
- Carlos Puyol, Barcelona - 593 apps
- Steve Cherundolo, Hannover 96 - 400+ apps
- Vyacheslav Malafeev, Zenit - 400+ apps
- Tony Hibbert, Everton - 329 apps

Bridgy 81

Athletic Bilbao have an award they give to players who have had a long career at just one club.
Itโ€™s unusual for a club to make awards to players from others but itโ€™s because of Athleticโ€™s very specific and continuing selection policy they value loyalty very highly.
The menโ€™s version The One Club Man started in 2015 and itโ€™s first recipient was Matt Le Tissier.
That may perhaps not appear an obvious one to begin with but I think it may have been influenced by their historical connection with Southampton i.e. when organized football in the Basque area started it was largely led by industrialists from the UK and one of them apparently brought over a set of Saints strips.
Athletic still play in red and white stripes (like all the best teams).
Other UK recipients of the menโ€™s award so far are Billy McNeil and Ryan Giggs.
They instigated a One Club Woman award in 2019, but thereโ€™s been no UK winners of that yet.

Colesman Ballz

Other 1 club only players include:

- Ryan Giggs, Man Utd - 900+ apps
- Paolo Maldini, AC Milan - 900+ apps
- Francesco Totti, Roma - 786 apps
- Jamie Carragher, Liverpool - 737 apps
- Tony Adams, Arsenal - 672 apps
- Richardo Bochini, Club Athรฉtico Independiente - 630+ apps
- Carlos Puyol, Barcelona - 593 apps
- Steve Cherundolo, Hannover 96 - 400+ apps
- Vyacheslav Malafeev, Zenit - 400+ apps
- Tony Hibbert, Everton - 329 apps
Keith Harvey needs to be included in that list !

fred binneys head

And Steve Bull at Wolves:

Years: 13
Appearances: 474
Goals: 250

(other than 4 games for West Brom at the start of his career).

No wonder the local council are about to change the name of Wolverhampton to โ€˜Steveโ€™.

angelic upstart

Athletic Bilbao have an award they give to players who have had a long career at just one club.
Itโ€™s unusual for a club to make awards to players from others but itโ€™s because of Athleticโ€™s very specific and continuing selection policy they value loyalty very highly.
The menโ€™s version The One Club Man started in 2015 and itโ€™s first recipient was Matt Le Tissier.
That may perhaps not appear an obvious one to begin with but I think it may have been influenced by their historical connection with Southampton i.e. when organized football in the Basque area started it was largely led by industrialists from the UK and one of them apparently brought over a set of Saints strips.
Athletic still play in red and white stripes (like all the best teams).
Other UK recipients of the menโ€™s award so far are Billy McNeil and Ryan Giggs.
They instigated a One Club Woman award in 2019, but thereโ€™s been no UK winners of that yet.
I always thought Bilbao wore Sunderland kits, as they were both ship yards and Sunderland brought the game to Bilbao.

Bridgy 81

I always thought Bilbao wore Sunderland kits, as they were both ship yards and Sunderland brought the game to Bilbao.
There were connections I believe via the involvement of English based industrialists in the development of football in Bilbao from various places in the UK including as you say Sunderland and Portsmouth.
But the story of the red and white kit, which they still play in today, coming from Southampton I recall was told when I did the stadium tour at San Mames a few years ago.
So thatโ€™s the version Iโ€™ve always assumed to be correct.
I had a quick look after I read your post and found a piece about it in this article.
Iโ€™m sure thereโ€™s plenty more about it elsewhere online though.
Anyway, Iโ€™m currently watching Athletic playing and beating Rayo Vallecano on TV and the second half is just starting.
Cheers.

Story of the Athletic Club strip
For a team with a history like Athletic Club, there are a number of parallel stories and anecdotes that make it a club with a long and interesting tradition.
The story of the Athletic Club kit is one of them.
16 milestones in the story of the Athletic Club kit
Historia camisetas Athletic Club

1. The first strip was cobbled together in order to be able to play friendly matches. It was a sweater with white shorts and black socks.
  2. In 1902, when the first official Copa del Rey (Kingโ€™s Cup) was held, the kit was replaced by a more elegant one: a shirt with two stripes (navy blue and white), dark blue shorts and blue socks with a white stripe at the top.
It was the kit worn by the English club Blackburn Rovers Football Club, from whom it was bought.
  1. In 1910, Juan Elorduy should have taken advantage of his trip to England to buy more shirts. To his surprise when he got there, they had sold out of them. He had no choice but to improvise.
On his return to Bilbao from the city of Southampton, he bought shirts from the local team, Southampton Football Club. As it happens, it was a shirt with red and white stripes, with black shorts and socks