• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

*OFF* Charlton Athletic V Exeter City Sat 10th September 2022 Discussion and Prediction thread

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just heard Kaveh Solakhel on Sky Sports News defending the decision. Saying that whilst rugby and cricket are going ahead, that football is the national sport and needs to lead on this.

Its a view, albeit a strange one
THE EFL pointedly referred to the game as the 'National Sport' in its statement, it has to be the rationale behind this decision, yes.

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tried to request a voucher and was rejected by TrainPal

Fecks sake

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was down to the individual sporting authorities to decide, it's nothing to do with "classism".

For the record I think the FA/EPL/EFL have made the wrong decision. However given that football is by far the most popular sport and thousands of people have travel plans for the weekend, then I suspect that they felt obliged to make the decision as early as possible.
I concur. While I share the view the football authorities got it wrong, they probably had little option but to make an early call and didn't have the luxury of seeing which way the wind was blowing, ie what decision other sports would take.

Had they been able to delay their decision until this evening then I imagine 1,500-plus Grecians would still be looking forward to a trip to The Valley tomorrow. Conversely, had they delayed their decision and it transpired all other sporting fixtures were being called off they would probably be copping even more flack than they are now for postponing games less than 24 hours before kick-off.

Last edited:

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think that policing may have had a large part to play in this. I have heard concerns that resources might be too thinly stretched in covering stadiums and town centres where large crowds may gather to pay their respects at the same time.
and everybody going to the pub instead of watching safely in the stadium or at home does not cause a problem?

geoffwp

I've looked but I can't find an answer to this urgent matter. Am I allowed to smile or crack a joke on Saturday and will the pubs be open? Thank you in advance.

geoffwp

Agreed I am surprised that the various sporting bodies do not have appeared to have acted in liaison with each other…..which would have avoided any unnecessary unpleasantness and helped to keep anti-monarchists quiet under their stones.
Excuse me sexton. I'm an avowed anti monarchist. I live under a f*****g stone do I?

Alistair20000

Excuse me sexton. I'm an avowed anti monarchist. I live under a f*****g stone do I?
Memo to King Charles III:

As a first act, off with our Geoff's head

Grecianpasty

Depends how gullible you are. You don’t know the conversations had behind the scenes to each sporting body, none of us do. Seems like a bit of a coincidence the working class sports are called off but the others aren’t doesn’t it?
You could call it a coincidence or you could call it looking for a political agenda when there isn't one?

Reactions: Egg

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
While not being a Royalist myself (yes, I know, "shock, horror" etc) I think it's perfectly possible to be one and think this decision is utterly stupid.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
The wrong decision from those paid to make decisions. HM liked her sport,same as the rest of us and I'm sure because of this she would have wanted everything to go ahead.