• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
But no matter what our hearts and loyalty to him tell us, realistically he is not going to replace Brown or Stansfield for a run of games unless they are all injured.
On this basis, we wouldn't have bothered signing Nombe and / or Brown after MJ had wiped the board in the club's 2020-21 awards.

Things can change very quickly in football and, yes, Jevani is in fantastic form right now and everyone hopes Jay Stansfield will be a huge success but neither are givens.

Moreover, you talk as if it's been proven beyond all doubt MJ ain't up to League One level. Far from it – he's simply been starved of opportunities thus far.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
On this basis, we wouldn't have bothered signing Nombe and / or Brown after MJ had wiped the board in the club's 2020-21 awards.

Things can change very quickly in football and, yes, Jevani is in fantastic form right now and everyone hopes Jay Stansfield will be a huge success but neither are givens.

Moreover, you talk as if it's been proven beyond all doubt MJ ain't up to League One level. Far from it – he's simply been starved of opportunities thus far.
To be third in line is not a good place to be.
As I said before, which you disregarded, he needs a run of games in Lg 1 to show if he can adapt. But the problem is he is unlikely to get that run of games due to the form of Brown and the arrival of JS. So unless both are injured at the same time I think he will be reduced to cameo roles, which will prove little.
Nowhere did I say he wasn't good enough for Lg 1 : what I did imply was that we don't know yet.

Rosencrantz

We don't currently have the squad depth to be letting MJ go out. There will be games where we will want an attacking midfielder or a No 10 and MJ is the obvious choice. He gives us good flexibility off the bench. Things can change quickly in football and a couple of injuries up front or in midfield and he will be in contention to start.

IndoMike

We don't currently have the squad depth to be letting MJ go out. There will be games where we will want an attacking midfielder or a No 10 and MJ is the obvious choice. He gives us good flexibility off the bench. Things can change quickly in football and a couple of injuries up front or in midfield and he will be in contention to start.
We have the squad depth. In attack we have Nombe, Smith, Stansfield and Sonny Cox. We have attacking midfielders in Brown and Dieng plus plenty of others.
MJ will clearly play cameo roles. I set the scene and asked the question : What to do? If MJ is happy to play a supporting role only then that's ok.

andrew p long

I think that's absolutely right. Factor in also things like next week - 3 league games in 8 days. I'd expect something like Sam only to play c150 minutes in the week - 2 starts x 60 minutes each, plus a sub appearance x 30 mins in midweek with Jay Stansfield starting that one.

And also games where we are losing and need to bring on someone different. A sub may be a cameo when we're winning but we need subs who can change games when we're losing/drawing.

IndoMike

I think that's absolutely right. Factor in also things like next week - 3 league games in 8 days. I'd expect something like Sam only to play c150 minutes in the week - 2 starts x 60 minutes each, plus a sub appearance x 30 mins in midweek with Jay Stansfield starting that one.

And also games where we are losing and need to bring on someone different. A sub may be a cameo when we're winning but we need subs who can change games when we're losing/drawing.
Have you forgotten a striker called Smith that we signed last week?

Colesman Ballz

Indo completely ignores that the window IS SHUT so no loans can take place until January so it is utterly useless conjecture in addition to being ridiculous ! :cool:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indo completely ignores that the window IS SHUT so no loans can take place until January so it is utterly useless conjecture in addition to being ridiculous ! :cool:
It is still possible for us to loan players to non-league.

IndoMike

And once again you are totally wrong about my posts . I clearly asked in post 513.."but can he be loaned out?". Can you explain how that is ignoring the issue?! You really need to think first before misinterpreting / not paying close enough attention and charging in like a bull in a china shop.
And yes, of course it's conjecture. Nearly every post is conjecture. Honestly Ballzy.

ChrisWickens

I suppose the question really is whether MJ will be happy just coming off the bench. But what are his alternatives? As long as he feels a real integral part of the squad i would expect him to carry on and be a valuable member.