• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v MK Dons Match Day Thread

Well-known Exeweb poster
Reminiscent of the likes of Steve Neville?
Brian McDermott?
One wonders
Johnny mitten

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jevani is incomparable, he's unique!

Extend his contract now!

Last edited:

iscalad

Only negative is no half backs on bench !
Indeed. Not had one since 1964. Sort it out taggythorpe.

Grecian2K

Indeed. Not had one since 1964. Sort it out taggythorpe.
No chance. He's too busy down at Matalan sourcing new jumpers for the goalposts.

Red Devon

So good today….we restricted them to only one real chance in the first half and in the second we were totally dominant with only the MK Dons goalkeeper keeping the score down. Cheick was outstanding not withstanding his goal….also big shoutouts for Sweenz and Groundsy who were also superb throughout.

STURTZ

Think Grounds will pick up a few cards this season!

iscalad

Took one for the team. Not a bad tackle or such like.

Exehausted

I really enjoyed the first half. Two teams who wanted to get the ball down and play whilst pressing the opposition high. It forced some errors in passing at times but I thought City edged it. Both keepers had to make a big save (or double save?) each.

Second half was one way traffic and we were excellent. All based on a solid back three with Cheick's physicality and the guile either side of Sweenz and Grounds which allowed us to be so aggressive in our press. Key and Sparkes got on top of their wing backs with Sparkes in particular delivering some crosses which probably had Harry Smith's eyes on stalks in the dug out.

The midfield dominated with Harry and Tim's running all being conducted by Archie who dictated the second half with the ball. Harper slotted in seamlessly when he came on. Jevani is enjoying L1 and he seems to have more time even when he doesn't have space. Nombe was a handful and a threat in behind and really worked them.

Cummings was excellent for them keeping out Sparkes with a great save and controlling his area. He really helped his defenders out with crosses. Nothing he could do when Cheick scored an identical goal to Tim's against Wycombe. Even when they changed from 3-4-3 to match our 3-5-2 it made no difference to our midfield dominance.

Young Stanno will score some goals for us I am sure. His movement is different class. If only Jevani could have cut his cross back a bit further from the keeper as Jay had completely lost his marker by going short, checking back and then going near post again.

What really pleased me was a bit of play with a couple of minutes to go. MK still trying to play out through Lewington but Josh Key was straight on him, Sweenz pushed up to cut off their wing back with Cheick and Grounds still covering behind even with MK playing two up top by then. Still aggressive pressing that late in the game with only a one goal lead. No thought of sitting back and defending the area.

We beat a good L1 side today and in the second half made them look ordinary.
I agree with everything you have said except the last line. I thought we made them look poor in the second half. I couldn't believe that they kept trying to play it out from their box when they had a goal kick. Despite getting little success with this they kept on doing it. I'm not complaining though and as others have said, what a fantastic performance and a very emotional day!

Red Devon

It’s a compliment to Grounds to say he deserved his card today. It was potentially MK Dons only real moment of danger in the second half and Groundsy did the right thing by bringing the player down.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Everyone played well. A great team performance. What was most pleasing was how we dominated the second half. Cheick deserved his man if match, absolute rock. He'll be the next to go, he's better than Hartridge.

Mk tried to play football, playing out from the back but this suited us, we play better against teams that try and play instead of Cheltenham style side.

I thought the MK keeper was brilliant, as were their fans, even though there wasn't many of them.