• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v MK Dons Match Day Thread

Cowshed Grecian

Yes, both him and Hartridge are more than able to hold their own in terms of physicality in a defensive sense but because they’ve played at fullback on their respective flanks they’re also both comfortable and effective on the ball and coming forward.
I’ve been thinking though whether, either for certain matches or as a response to in-game circumstances, we have the flexibility in the makeup our defensive players to switch to perhaps a flat back four, especially if we want/need to introduce more of our newer attacking players onto the pitch at the same time.
The other alternative I presume if or when needed would be to leave what’s usually a very solid back line formation alone and tinker with the midfield set up instead.
I’m beginning to give myself a headache even thinking about the potential different permutations.
Who’d be a Manager?
A high quality problem though I suppose.
I’ve been thinking the same, you’ve got to give it to Matt T, at 60 mins I was looking at him thinking what are you going to do? 1-0 up. He kept it the same, I think he’s going to go on and be a top manager you know. The way he sets us up makes us hard to beat. I thought this season we would be too predictable, but he’s very cleaver what he does. He has changed it to 3 in CM aswell. He knows how to attack teams, it’s obviously down our WBs. Archie Collins dictates the play-so underated, how we still have him is beyond me. Harry’s first touch is brilliant. Honestly I think this is the best City side I’ve ever seen.

Cowshed Grecian

I think Josh Key seems to have lost a yard of pace? when he first came in he was flying past full backs. Still a great player, you can tell he has that 3 step ability to know what he’s going to do before anyone else.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think you’re wrong. He knows exactly what he’s going to do. He’s an elegant footballer, pure skill.
You're right, he is a very elegant footballer but I don't believe that knowing and thinking come into it. There are things he has done, his movement, his feet, his balance, that defy any thought process as they happen quicker than that. A damn sight quicker than my brain works anyway!:LOL:

Grecian2K

You're right, he is a very elegant footballer but I don't believe that knowing and thinking come into it. There are things he has done, his movement, his feet, his balance, that defy any thought process as they happen quicker than that. A damn sight quicker than my brain works anyway!:LOL:
Reminiscent of the likes of Steve Neville?
Brian McDermott?
One wonders just what might happen after a few weeks training together and JB & JS get on the same wavelength.
Happy, happy days.

Last edited:

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Excellent game of football two sides trying to play it the right way, We were delightful in the 2nd Half and deserved the win MK ran out of ideas and had no answer.
Sparkes Superb today and as has been said Jevani's first test is different level.
Another clean sheet Stanno Jnr gets a run out.
We now have a bench that is strong and can chnage a game.

What a difference to the previous home game when Cheltenham spolit my afternoon with their tactics still :mad:

Great day at SJP - UTC

Grecian2K

Also delightfully encouraging (given that they are rivals for a place up front) was the warmth and support shown by Sam N towards Jay at the final whistle.

Let's face it. One of the main factors last season that got us up here was the "team spirit". Long may it continue.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only negative is no half backs on bench !

Mid Devon Grecian

I think you’re wrong. He knows exactly what he’s going to do. He’s an elegant footballer, pure skill.
Agree, second half (I was on big bank, left hand side), on one occasion he did some footwork with the ball that was mesmerising, pure skill

Mid Devon Grecian

Reminiscent of the likes of Steve Neville?
Brian McDermott?
One wonders just what might happen after a few weeks training together and JB & JS get on the same wavelength.
Happy, happy days.
Weeeeave!!