• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v MK Dons Match Day Thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah he is, premier league teams pay £60m for a player like him. He might not be in the game half the time but that moment of magic he does wins games. He’s a top drawer player at this level.
It's the work rate and pressing off the ball as well.

Cowshed Grecian

I can’t believe how good Sweenz is these days, I used to give him loads of shit…he’s improved no ends. Keeps getting better and better, on the right hand side of a back 3 he’s a perfect player.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

dontpassback

Excellent performance,grounds played well,and as for jevani brown,the man is entertaining to watch,he probably doesn’t know what he is going to do with the ball,never mind the opposition,a good all round performance which gives us a great platform to build on UTC

CraigECFC

Shame about Dieng’s injury. Thought he had a much better game today. Was winning everything and popping up in and around the box a lot more. I imagine he’ll be out for a couple of weeks…

Saying that, I do really like the look of Harper. Reminds me of Boateng on a good day. Very composed on the ball, sits in front of the back four and keeps it moving.

Cowshed Grecian

Kept thinking all game mind you, the amount of crosses Sparkes and Key were putting in…a 6ft 5 striker could really do something in this system.

Bridgy 81

I can’t believe how good Sweenz is these days, I used to give him loads of shit…he’s improved no ends. Keeps getting better and better, on the right hand side of a back 3 he’s a perfect player.
Yes, both him and Hartridge are more than able to hold their own in terms of physicality in a defensive sense but because they’ve played at fullback on their respective flanks they’re also both comfortable and effective on the ball and coming forward.
I’ve been thinking though whether, either for certain matches or as a response to in-game circumstances, we have the flexibility in the makeup our defensive players to switch to perhaps a flat back four, especially if we want/need to introduce more of our newer attacking players onto the pitch at the same time.
The other alternative I presume if or when needed would be to leave what’s usually a very solid back line formation alone and tinker with the midfield set up instead.
I’m beginning to give myself a headache even thinking about the potential different permutations.
Who’d be a Manager?
A high quality problem though I suppose.

Cowshed Grecian

Excellent performance,grounds played well,and as for jevani brown,the man is entertaining to watch,he probably doesn’t know what he is going to do with the ball,never mind the opposition,a good all round performance which gives us a great platform to build on UTC
I think you’re wrong. He knows exactly what he’s going to do. He’s an elegant footballer, pure skill.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I really enjoyed the first half. Two teams who wanted to get the ball down and play whilst pressing the opposition high. It forced some errors in passing at times but I thought City edged it. Both keepers had to make a big save (or double save?) each.

Second half was one way traffic and we were excellent. All based on a solid back three with Cheick's physicality and the guile either side of Sweenz and Grounds which allowed us to be so aggressive in our press. Key and Sparkes got on top of their wing backs with Sparkes in particular delivering some crosses which probably had Harry Smith's eyes on stalks in the dug out.

The midfield dominated with Harry and Tim's running all being conducted by Archie who dictated the second half with the ball. Harper slotted in seamlessly when he came on. Jevani is enjoying L1 and he seems to have more time even when he doesn't have space. Nombe was a handful and a threat in behind and really worked them.

Cummings was excellent for them keeping out Sparkes with a great save and controlling his area. He really helped his defenders out with crosses. Nothing he could do when Cheick scored an identical goal to Tim's against Wycombe. Even when they changed from 3-4-3 to match our 3-5-2 it made no difference to our midfield dominance.

Young Stanno will score some goals for us I am sure. His movement is different class. If only Jevani could have cut his cross back a bit further from the keeper as Jay had completely lost his marker by going short, checking back and then going near post again.

What really pleased me was a bit of play with a couple of minutes to go. MK still trying to play out through Lewington but Josh Key was straight on him, Sweenz pushed up to cut off their wing back with Cheick and Grounds still covering behind even with MK playing two up top by then. Still aggressive pressing that late in the game with only a one goal lead. No thought of sitting back and defending the area.

We beat a good L1 side today and in the second half made them look ordinary.