• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Newport County - Papa John’s Trophy Match Day Thread

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whilst a disjointed performance overall, great to see Cox out there, whom i thought played exceptionally well up top. He actually looks ready imho to be back up for us.

The result just doesn't matter, but again time in for Harper, Chauke etc.

Fingers crossed deadline day brings in some additional faces, even if just back up faces.

Again i would have signed Zanzala.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
the full u18 team plus the 4 first team players who fit the guidelines who needed the extra minutes most. It’s a simple concept. Pointless competition. Honestly Couldn’t care less that we lost this tonight
Good. Now you acknowledge that despite numerous posts saying 'play the the U21 team' we don't have any available U21s and therefore the only alternative is to use U18s. Its also the case that we don't have 11 U18s - the U18s team is a mixture of the U18s and U17 age groups. Also some of the best U18s are out on loan and ? might niot be available /eligible. I think this means playing several 17 year olds and some 16 year olds

To be clear, I share your frustration about having to use players who would benefit from a rest. But its the competition rules and the thinness of our squad that cause this; there were no easy choices for last night's selection.

arthur

If he didn’t have his faults he wouldn’t be on loan to us. He would be a starter for Ipswich. I hate to say it but he reminds me of a young Big Nige..MT obviously likes this type of player, I think it’s there ability slow the game down.
I haven't seen him play, but the comments so far got me thinking exactly that

DJG.ECFC

Good. Now you acknowledge that despite numerous posts saying 'play the the U21 team' we don't have any available U21s and therefore the only alternative is to use U18s. Its also the case that we don't have 11 U18s - the U18s team is a mixture of the U18s and U17 age groups. Also some of the best U18s are out on loan and ? might niot be available /eligible. I think this means playing several 17 year olds and some 16 year olds

To be clear, I share your frustration about having to use players who would benefit from a rest. But its the competition rules and the thinness of our squad that cause this; there were no easy choices for last night's selection.
My point was that we started zero youth team players, with the exception of cox who is borderline first team at the moment. We had a couple on the bench (Borges and king) which could have started in order to give a few more first teamers a rest at the very least.

iscalad

Moaning again 🙄
Unlike you, I dislike other teams scoring against us.!!!!!

RichCounty27

There are rules which state we have to play so many first teamers. Newport have made fewer changes than us
10 changes from Saturday's starting line up at Harrogate.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

jase 07

Whilst a disjointed performance overall, great to see Cox out there, whom i thought played exceptionally well up top. He actually looks ready imho to be back up for us.

The result just doesn't matter, but again time in for Harper, Chauke etc.

Fingers crossed deadline day brings in some additional faces, even if just back up faces.

Again i would have signed Zanzala.
Zanzala is out injured for approx 10 weeks

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Zanzala is out injured for approx 10 weeks
Obviously would have signed begining of pre season

STURTZ

Although I was in favour of signing Zanzala I seem to remember he had a couple of similar injuries last season. Now think we may have dodged a bullet with Ozzie.