• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Brought it up a few weeks ago, I don't think he's got the movement at this level as Tom above mentions - and without the physicality just looks very weak. I think MJ is great and has produced some real moments of magic, but if we stay up - he'll be gone next summer along with Dieng.

ExmouthMart

Brought it up a few weeks ago, I don't think he's got the movement at this level as Tom above mentions - and without the physicality just looks very weak. I think MJ is great and has produced some real moments of magic, but if we stay up - he'll be gone next summer along with Dieng.
He lacks movement?! He’s one of the best players at the club. Don’t know where we would have been without him in the last couple of seasons. He’s obviously the odd one out because we are awash with physicality at City…….

Grecian Max

He lacks movement?! He’s one of the best players at the club. Don’t know where we would have been without him in the last couple of seasons. He’s obviously the odd one out because we are awash with physicality at City…….
With respect Mart - he hasn't been one of the "best players" at the club for at least 8 months, and has only had one good full season in his time with us, which was when no fans were in.

I like him, but he will struggle in L2. No shame in that at all.

ExmouthMart

With respect Mart - he hasn't been one of the "best players" at the club for at least 8 months, and has only had one good full season in his time with us, which was when no fans were in.

I like him, but he will struggle in L2. No shame in that at all.
Your being a bit harsh….. so are you saying Jay is finished?! Fair enough if we were Man City with a bottomless pit of cash. One of the things we can all agree on is we very often lack a plan B, with is due to the fact we have a severe lack of options from the bench. Jay is better than a bit part player and isn’t going to change a game on his own. More quality additions will enhance the quality we already have and Jay is a quality player.

Grecian Max

Your being a bit harsh….. so are you saying Jay is finished?! Fair enough if we were Man City with a bottomless pit of cash. One of the things we can all agree on is we very often lack a plan B, with is due to the fact we have a severe lack of options from the bench. Jay is better than a bit part player and isn’t going to change a game on his own. More quality additions will enhance the quality we already have and Jay is a quality player.
I'm not saying Jay is finished, no. Man City seems a bit irrelevant, we are up a level here and like any other League 1 club will look to adapt and improve within reason - if Jay isn't doing it this year then there will be a lot of takers in the division below. He is a quality player, at League 2. Or at least was for a season and half - his drop in form last season was real despite the rest of the side carrying him from Jan onwards.

There seems to be a reluctance on here to assess players and tactics without people getting emotional and defensive of "our lads". I really like what MJ has brought to the club, even if it is was a long time coming but realistically don't see him excelling at League 1... which is fine.

grecIAN Harris

I'm not saying Jay is finished, no. Man City seems a bit irrelevant, we are up a level here and like any other League 1 club will look to adapt and improve within reason - if Jay isn't doing it this year then there will be a lot of takers in the division below. He is a quality player, at League 2. Or at least was for a season and half - his drop in form last season was real despite the rest of the side carrying him from Jan onwards.

There seems to be a reluctance on here to assess players and tactics without people getting emotional and defensive of "our lads". I really like what MJ has brought to the club, even if it is was a long time coming but realistically don't see him excelling at League 1... which is fine.
It's not hard to see what the problem is Max. The season and a half you refer to Jay played as a No 10, his proper position where he has the movement and intelligence to exploit that role. The remaining time since he has been deployed as an attacking midfielder where it is reasonable to say he is a tad dimunitive for him to be as effective subsequently his form dipped. With arrival of Jevani Brown he has now become second fiddle to the ten role and, like any player, needs a couple of games to get back into full swing so he will look a bit out of sorts. Luck for Jay will have it that he will be back to full tilt just as Brown comes back from his trip with The Reggae Boyz and lose his place again.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not hard to see what the problem is Max. The season and a half you refer to Jay played as a No 10, his proper position where he has the movement and intelligence to exploit that role. The remaining time since he has been deployed as an attacking midfielder where it is reasonable to say he is a tad dimunitive for him to be as effective subsequently his form dipped. With arrival of Jevani Brown he has now become second fiddle to the ten role and, like any player, needs a couple of games to get back into full swing so he will look a bit out of sorts. Luck for Jay will have it that he will be back to full tilt just as Brown comes back from his trip with The Reggae Boyz and lose his place again.
Tend to agree with Ian - while it's a legitimate opinion, I think it's a bit soon to say MJ can't cut it at League One level on the basis of two appearances [one of which came against a team which had shithousery down to a fine art].

Likewise, I think it's OTT to suggest the team carried him for the second half of last season. A couple of pals of mine came to the Rochdale game in April and were waxing lyrical about MJ afterwards; they were very surprised to hear he wasn't starting games at the beginning of the season.

Grecian Max

I agree his position effects his game - in the Covid season he played in a very specific role with the team built around him - once we switched last year he didn’t look as good but that is where I think it shows his limitations as an attacking player and how niche he is. I had my reservations about him moving on when he was on a high as his role was so specific I didn’t see another team committing to one player like that and now we’ve switched formations that’s played out, but at SJP.

To be fair to him last year he did half a season in the new set up and looked decent as more of a straight forward finisher before having a very quiet second half of the season.

@Egg - he showed flashes, including the vital Barrow goal but his contribution over that second half was diminished, no doubt about that

IndoMike

I get the feeling that MJ is more effective playing off a big man such as Bowman, living off scraps and bibs and bobs. Matty J has got good anticipation and can sniff out goal chances, but he's not quite a fox in the box, not really a playmaker, and not a player who can drive forward
Some posters are arguing from an emotional standpoint, but Matt Taylor won't. Matty will not be one of the first names on the team sheet, but he will give his best when called upon.
I can't see him leaving, but he might end up at Torquay, where he could do a great job.

J-Han

Appreciate we all have our opinions, but almost writing MJ off after a couple of games in L1 after what he's done the last couple years is incredibly harsh. He deserves more than a crack at L1 level.