• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Charlton Away - Saturday 10 September

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
My "local" game. Typically I'll be away for it! :)

A day out in London is always a good day. Hopefully the trains will be running okay.

Bridgy 81

My "local" game. Typically I'll be away for it! :)

A day out in London is always a good day. Hopefully the trains will be running okay.
I fancy this one too.
I’ve looked into us staying in or around London for a few days but as expected it’s prohibitively expensive, especially as it would need to include weekend nights for this game.
Plus, as I prefer to drive myself if possible, taking a car into London and paying for it to be parked up for a few days is a non-starter too.
So I plan to look into going up and back on Grecian Travel.
I’ve gone with them a couple of times over the years and they’ve helpfully picked me up at M5 Junction 24 but I wonder if they’d go on the A303 from Exeter to South London, which doesn’t pass very close to Bridgwater?
I’ll contact them and ask.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I fancy this one too.
I’ve looked into us staying in or around London for a few days but as expected it’s prohibitively expensive, especially as it would need to include weekend nights for this game.
Plus, as I prefer to drive myself if possible, taking a car into London and paying for it to be parked up for a few days is a non-starter too.
So I plan to look into going up and back on Grecian Travel.
I’ve gone with them a couple of times over the years and they’ve helpfully picked me up at M5 Junction 24 but I wonder if they’d go on the A303 from Exeter to South London, which doesn’t pass very close to Bridgwater?
I’ll contact them and ask.
Have you thought about staying somewhere further out, but still on a tube line or on the rail network? There are so many things you can do in a few days in London (see also my last entry on the Last Film Watched thread :))

Bridgy 81

Have you thought about staying somewhere further out, but still on a tube line or on the rail network? There are so many things you can do in a few days in London (see also my last entry on the Last Film Watched thread :))
Thanks for the tips.
I have thought about staying somewhere further out and using public transport to get to the game but I’m concerned that they’ll be a rail strike and I’ll be ‘stranded’ about 25/30 miles from the Valley and then reliant on driving in, which would defeat the point really.
We do like spending time in London though. We went up last December on the bus which for us terminates in Hammersmith. We stayed there, went into London on the tube and walked over to Shepherds Bush for a gig.
We did call into Covent Garden too, which my wife always enjoys, but still unfortunately recalls an incident there when a pigeon flying overhead shat in her jacket potato. I probably didn’t help matters by suggesting she ate around it.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I haven't been back to Charlton since the FA Cup game, in 2002/3. The seating in the away end was absolutely appalling, just about big enough for infant school kids. My back was in spasms for weeks afterwards ! :confused:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I haven't been back to Charlton since the FA Cup game, in 2002/3. The seating in the away end was absolutely appalling, just about big enough for infant school kids. My back was in spasms for weeks afterwards ! :confused:
So you're going? :)

Colesman Ballz

So you're going? :)
Er no ! Very unlikely ever again unless they sort that seating out ! Of course a playoff fixture involving promotion to the Championship, might present me with somewhat of a dilemma ! :unsure:

StroudGrecian

Thinking I might go up to London for this, a couple of hours on the National Rejoin March before heading to the Valley (y)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Er no ! Very unlikely ever again unless they sort that seating out ! Of course a playoff fixture involving promotion to the Championship, might present me with somewhat of a dilemma ! :unsure:
You could stand with all the other stander-uppers 😲

Ashford Grecian

Clap, clap but no junior as away in Ireland so will be my first "solo" game !