• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Speaking of Kwarteng, I learn from Mrs Swire that he was Amber Rudd's lover. Not many people know that
Oh dear, That could mean after him Ms Rudd decided she preferred ladies, That'll dent his ego! 🙂

angelic upstart

So we don’t need to elect judges. The judges just need to stick to their job and avoid mission creep.
What was the judges job in (for example) the Hirst case? How was their judgement mission creep?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I find it really interesting that Jason and Jinx, our only remaining representatives of the right side of the seesaw, have such differing opinions on the candidates and their future election chances. Politics is a funny old game.

Alistair20000

Speaking of Kwarteng, I learn from Mrs Swire that he was Amber Rudd's lover. Not many people know that
Is that a fact or sales talk for Mrs Swire’s book ?

Last edited:

Alistair20000

I'm still fairly open (in that I'm not keen on either of them), likely to be Sunak but that could change in the coming weeks once I've had the opportunity to listen to them properly. I don't like the way Truss has operated throughout, which has put me slightly on the Sunak side of the fence.

It was something of a surprise to me that Penny went in behind Truss, although that could have been a case of hedging bets ahead of a leading role under the new leader.
Nigel Lawson backing the Diddy Man as being the true bearer of Thatcherism.

Given a free choice of next leader who would you have gone for Jason ?

DB9

I find it really interesting that Jason and Jinx, our only remaining representatives of the right side of the seesaw, have such differing opinions on the candidates and their future election chances. Politics is a funny old game.
I consider Jason as "Old School Tory" where he knows that if say someone breaks the ministerial code he'd want them to go, Believe's that there should be standards in Politics, Jinxy is the "Populist Tory" Where lying and defending the indefensible is justified at all costs.

I disagree with Jason's Politics but respect him for his knowledge and he put's in a fair argument.

Mr Jinx

And so Liz is to review BOE independence after they buggered up with the COL crisis.

When will she stop saying the right things?!

arthur

Is that a fact or sales talk for Mrs Swire’s book ?
I'd happily be a salesman for Mrs Swire's book. It confirms everything you thought about "Dave and George" and contains a good amount of both gossipy and political detail. Also spot on about "Boris" and the the shambles of the referendum. Unashamedly Tory and a very useful insight. Our friend Pienaar gets an honourable mention as someone who knows what he's talking about. I wonder if Jason's read it - it would be interesting to know what he thinks.

Re Rudd love life, the Kwarteng dalliance is recorded on her wiki page, so Mrs S can't be claiming this as an exclusive

Last edited:

arthur

The Conservative Party has been taken over by Jinxian nihilists. This is why its days are numbered. I fear the Jason faction has left it too late to repair the damage done, but wish them all the best in their attempts to do so. There needs to be a mainstream centre right Party to keep the new Labour government on its toes and to give my friend Alistair someone to vote for.

Phil Sayers

I fear the Jason faction has left it too late to repair the damage done,
I make you right with regards the next election but a kicking in that could cause a lot of soul-searching and be an impetus to return to decency. It isn't that long ago that Labour had their worst election result since WW1 - now they are riding high in the polls due to a necessary 'course-correction'. The same could happen with the Tories.